108759 Solutions
New Discussion

MSM710 & 422 not dynamically handing me off to different AP's

Chris Plant1
Occasional Contributor

MSM710 & 422 not dynamically handing me off to different AP's

Hi,

I have an MSM710 mobility controller with 4 x MSM422 AP's

I switch on my laptop and connect to the nearest 422. I then walk with my laptop and stand underneath another 422. But i'm still connected to the first one. I have to manually dissasociate myself to connect to the one i'm underneath.

I've configured the vsc as subnet based mobility and the controller mobility status shows

192.168.210.0    255.255.255.0     0  and then the 4 x 422's are listed, but no mobility clients.

Have I misunderstood how all this works?

Thanks in advance Chris.

2 REPLIES 2
wifiqos
Occasional Advisor

Re: MSM710 & 422 not dynamically handing me off to different AP's

your laptop will not move from one AP to the next unless the signal is weak.  So if the 422 are close (possibly too close) together - there is no need for a handoff - and there will not be a handoff.  You can set the "distance between ap" to medium or small - in medium clients with less than 15 db will be dropped, and with small then clients with less than 20 db SNR will be dropped.   But it sounds like you have a high AP density and this behavior is normal. 

Chris Plant1
Occasional Contributor

Re: MSM710 & 422 not dynamically handing me off to different AP's

OK, So it's all to do with the SNR. It's only when the SNR gets below 20 (I have Distance Between AP's set to Small) that the laptop is triggered to search for stronger AP's.

I have 4 MSM422's in 2 Units. Unit 1 has an AP at each end (75 metres) and the adjacent smaller unit 2 (60 metres) has AP 's in the middle sideways on to the 1st unit. (40metres across). The power on all 4 AP's is set to 50%.

Does anyone know how many metres these MSM422's are capable of trnsmitting to (assuming no interference).

Thansk.