108788 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: MSM720 - FW 6.3 Controller Crash / Guest WLAN not working anymore

Nameeert
Frequent Advisor

MSM720 - FW 6.3 Controller Crash / Guest WLAN not working anymore

Hello,

i installed a MSM720 Controller liked described in following Post:

http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/MSM-Series/MSM720-Accessable-Controller-Management-through-Guest-WLAN/td-p/6309519

Everything seems to work fine. A few days ago i upgraded the Controller Firmware to 6.3 and installed the GMS (Version 6.3). After the Firmware Update i could not connect again to my Guest Network. The other Networks worked fine. I deleted the Guest Network and recreated it. Everything worked like expected again.

Yesterday my customer reported me, that following happened:

- Guest WLAN didnt worked anymore. Same Error: Client needs very long to connect to Guest WLAN and did not get the HTML Login Page. Clients get the correct IP per DHCP from the Controller.

- Controller is not reachable anymore (no Ping, no Management Login Page, etc.)

So we rebooted the Controller hardcore (remove Power Cable) and recreated the Guest WLAN again. Like expected, everything works fine again...

My Question is if there is a known issue with FW 6.3? For me and my customer it seems, the "strange" controller crash and the Guest WLAN which suddenly not work any more is since the Firmware 6.3.

Next question is if i can downgrade the firmware without lossing my configuration to 6.2 back again?

Thanks for any help.

Best Regards

Marco

4 REPLIES 4
Lion-Heart
Occasional Advisor

Interesting I have face similer kind of issue in my case Guests are working fine with 6.3 firmware no issues but Staff users which use AD authentication works and suddnly stop without authenticating and not getting IPs. 

Some times controller get stuck and not responding. In my case i have observed there is STP topology changes in my network and i have fine tune the RSTP. Try to configure port which is connecting to Controller as stp edge port or disable stp on that port.In my setup it works since yesterday without any complains.

At the moment i have create 2 different SSIDs for Staff users one for AD authentication and the other one for RADIUS authentication. So far both working fine I'll update if i get any complains.

Nameeert
Frequent Advisor

Hi,

i opened meanwhile a case by HP.

We recognized that the Controller and the guest WLAN works fine as long we did not start/open the GMS again after creating a few users.

STP is disabled on the Switch Port. But my Controller is just connected with one Port to my Productive Network.

By the way we have some more issues.

Exampe: Guest Users created with a Subscription Plan (User valid 1 day after first login) will be deleted by the GMS after 24h after CREATION. If we close the Application after creating the users everything works fine - until we open GMS, then all Users are deletet again...

Im going crazy....

Regards

Marco

lightxx1980
Occasional Advisor

NEVER EVER deploy an initial release HP firmware on ANY productive device. I'm dead serious.

If you absolutely NEED a feature introducted with a new release either test the FW thoroughly  in a lab or wait for the first  (second / third / ...) maintainance release.

6.3 didn't bring anything substantially new to the table (see the release notes here V6.3.0.0 Release Notes), so I'm not sure why you installed it anyways.

Nameeert
Frequent Advisor

Hi lightxx1980,

thanks.

I understand your point. I tried in the past to install for my customers an actual Firmware/Software if he get new Software/Hardware. Why should i install old Software Releases? I never had a Problem. In fact if there is an existing recommendation or incopatility i will install Firmware-Releases which are supported together.

But Rigth. 6.3 has nothing new. But IF the problems occure because a (such) faulty Firmware 6.3 i ask myself if there is somebody who test a new Firmware before releasing it? Meanwhile it seems People like i should be this one.

The Wireless Network is not fully productive and in fact still in a test environment. So in my opinion it should have been ok to install an actual Firmware on new Hardware.

Besides: HP did not recomended to downgrade the firmware. They just said if i want to downgrade i should use FW 5.7.4. It seems this Release is a stable one. On the HP Download Site i did just see a 5.7.3.

So i dont know which Firmware i should have been installed instead. 6.3 not. 6.2 maybe (or not?) or the recomended Firmware 5.7.4 from HP? Or is 5.7.3 still better? Puh...

Regards

Marco