108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: MSM730 dhcp server problem

SOLVED
Go to solution
Fred!
Trusted Contributor

Yes, "use service controller for authentication" is what I meant. MSC is the old name for the MSM service controller.

Anyway looking at your last post, I can see that your problem has shifted from the original post/topic.

But now, I understand that you have a difference in terms of behavior for the accounting request.

Looking at the manual p.232: http://cdn.procurve.com/training/Manuals/r531/MSM7xx-MCG-May09-5992-5929.pdf

The accounting request is supposed to include the framed-ip-address of the user's computer. It looks like a potential bug with the product if it is not repoorted in your case.

Maybe you should contact support or upgrade to one of the latest release to see if it fixes the issue, but from the manual it seems that this should be supported.
Cfabio
Frequent Advisor

Yes, I did looked this page of the manual.

I thought that my problem was due to the external dhcp (maybe the controller didn't know the ip address send to the client from the dhcp when it send the accounting request start)...so I tried to use the controller in dhcp mode..........

Maybe it's really a bug of the product.
Now I'll try to contact the support...

Thanks for the support

Fred!
Trusted Contributor

Well as I mentioned earlier, if "use service controller for authentication and access control" are both unchecked, then the controller is not involved at all (so it should not matter whether you are using an internal DHCP or not).

If the checkboxes are unchecked, the authentication request would go directly from the AP to your RADIUS and in that case, only the AP is responsible to catch and fill-up the information in the Access and Accounting requests to the RADIUS server (all by itself and without involving the controller)
Cfabio
Frequent Advisor

Hi

Now I totally understand what you meant.

It's a good idea for solve my problem. I'll try.....
Cfabio
Frequent Advisor

Hi

I unchecked "use service controller for authentication and access control" and I don't modify the remaining configuration.

It don't work. My radius (configured on the controller under RADIUS-profiles page) don't receive the request of authentication from the access point....and so the client can't authenticate itself.

Should I modify others parameters in configuration?

Fred!
Trusted Contributor

You need to remember that in that case, the AP will contact the RADIUS directly. Therefore, the IP address of the RADIUS needs to be reachable by the AP. Also, the AP will be the NAS in this case, so your RADIUS server needs to be configured to accept the AP as a potential source of authentication.

Beside that there shouldn't be much parameters to touch on the MSM controller. So it is a matter of looking a traces at the AP or syslogs at the AP to understand if the authentication request goes out or not.
Cfabio
Frequent Advisor

Now it works. There was an error in my radius configuration, so the radius didn't log and didn't reply to the access point.

Now the authentication works but accounting problem is the same.
The AP (or the controller) doesn't put in the Accounting Start Message the Framed-Ip-Address field with the IP address assigned to the client.....

Fred!
Trusted Contributor

OK, then I'm afraid it is a bug that needs to be taken to support, as the specification/documentation says that this attribute is supported in the accounting request and it appears that it is not in your case, there is not much we can do if the product do not insert the data in the radius packet :(
Cfabio
Frequent Advisor

Ok...thanks. Unfortunately the HP suppot service for my controller is now expired, so I can't contact it.

I will have to renounce....

Bye