M and MSM Series
1748181 Members
4070 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

MSM760 Access controller spontaneously reboots

Kurt Zolp

MSM760 Access controller spontaneously reboots

We installed a MSM760. Currently, the controller is just managing our 7 access points (eventually will have about 100). About once a day the controller does a full reboot. Everyone is kicked off until all of the ap's reassociate.

Attached is a log that was taken 7 minutes after one of the restarts.

We are pretty much tapped on things to try to resolve the issue. We have even received a new controller from HP, however, the new one acts the same. Also, HP has been working with us to resolve the issue.

P.S. This thread has been moved from Communications, Wireless (Legacy ITRC forum) to MSM Series. -HP Forum Moderator

6 REPLIES 6
Shadow13
Respected Contributor

Re: MSM760 Access controller spontaneously reboots

call the support please and they will help you with this
Kurt Zolp

I already have been talking with them. However, we are still having the issue. At this point I am just trying to maximize my audiance to find a solution.
Shadow13
Respected Contributor

Which firmware are you running on the MSM ?
Kurt Zolp

5.3.5.0-01-7983
Fred!
Trusted Contributor

There seem to be a lot going on in your log. Not necessarily extremely bad things, but still some fair amount of activity. Which is, in my opinion, abnormal considering the number of APs that you have in your network.

Unfortunately, to really debug what going on, you need to send the log from just before the crash and just after the crash. That would better indicate what went wrong with the product.

The only efficient way to do this that I know of is to create a remote syslog and send that log to a server because somehow it could be quite big and due to the amount of activity that you have, the internal MSM controller log will be filled pretty quickly.

Now I can see that you have probably tried to setup this, but it seems to have failed:

io.c: do_write: write() failed (errno 111), Connection refused
Connection broken to AF_INET(10.1.2.67:514), reopening in 60 seconds
Connection broken to AF_INET(10.1.5.145:514), reopening in 60 seconds

Do you know why? Do you have any firewall blocking this, or your remote syslog server is not active?

Anyway, for my own understanding, who are these stations in your network:

May 3 14:21:12 debug kernel Discarded IP packet with source MAC='00:16:ec:23:b1:ca', source IP='10.1.2.100' and dest IP='10.1.255.255' received on interface='eth1'
Discarded IP packet with source MAC='00:16:ec:25:bc:e1', source IP='10.1.5.48' and dest IP='255.255.255.255' received on interface='eth1'
Discarded IP packet with source MAC='00:0f:ea:3e:d2:7a', source IP='10.1.4.68' and dest IP='10.1.255.255' received on interface='eth1'
Discarded IP packet with source MAC='00:18:f3:1d:c0:8d', source IP='10.1.5.53' and dest IP='10.1.255.255' received on interface='eth1'

They seem to create a lot of noise/broadcasts.

There are some other logs like this one that bothers me:

Failed SNTP time synchronization using server 1.colubris.pool.ntp.org

It does not sound right to have such SNTP server to me, but please confirm. Proper time synchronization is essential for a lot of things like logs, statistics and has some influence a stable AP to controller connection.
droberson2

Has anyone had any luck with this issue? My MSM730 running 5.3.1.0-01-7143 has started to reboot on its own in past weeks. The only config changes i made was add a new VSC and make it a top VSC based QOS priority. i have submitted a case to HP in hopes that it is still under warranty so that i can get a firmware upgrade. thank you all in advance for any help you can offer.