4578 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: MSM760 Bonjour Filtering Issue

jabbrwcky
Occasional Visitor

MSM760 Bonjour Filtering Issue

Hey,

Just wondering if anyone else is experiencing this issue.  We're on an MSM760 controller with 30 MSM460 APs.  Currently running 6.5.0.1.

Last year when the Bonjour filtering and traffic management services were launched, we started using them due to the number of Macs on our network.  It has been very successful and has helped us to stop people from bypassing our print server by sharing printers between themselves and from sharing other content such as iTunes music collections.

I currently have a block-all policy applied to both inbound and outbound bonjour announcements, along with a couple of exceptions for our Chromebook peer-to-peer updates and our Mac print server on the LAN.  Everything worked fine for the last year, but for some reason following the update to 6.5, every so often one or more of the APs will suddenly start dropping all bonjour traffic.  Testing it with the bonjour browser application shows absolutely nothing being advertised.  Any wireless client using it will be unable to enumerate the printers on the print server until it either moves to another AP or that AP is rebooted.

There seems to be no commonality between APs that start dropping this traffic; some do it when under load and others when lightly loaded.  The bonjour cache on the AP is not full (as most advertisements are blocked) and when I remove the filtering, everything works fine and the APs don't exhibit this behaviour.  We are not using Bonjour gateway, just traffic management and filtering.

I'm hoping that someone else will shout and say that it's happening to them as well so I'm at least reassured that it's a controller or AP issue rather than something else that's mysteriously changed!

1 REPLY 1
jabbrwcky
Occasional Visitor

Re: MSM760 Bonjour Filtering Issue

Just posting for posterity in case anyone else comes across this.  Got HP support involved and we upgraded to pre-release 6.5.1 firmware several days ago; that seems to have resolved the problem.