M and MSM Series
1752480 Members
5692 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: MSM760 - Clients loosing network connectivity (ping times 5-10 full seconds!)

Z273
Frequent Advisor

Re: MSM760 - Clients loosing network connectivity (ping times 5-10 full seconds!)

I forgot to comment about the band steer that you have tried.

There is the band steering feature in the VSC config page, it is used to "steer" dualband clients to 5ghz, this feature could add some delay for a client to connect as the steering process is creating some delay to make the 2.4ghz looks less tempting.   Anyhow, if you want to learn more about this feature, HP has patent on it http://www.google.com/patents/US8655278 .

The other feature not well documented if the "Traffic Shaping" under the Radio management->Radio configuration page, this feature should be called "Airtime fairness" instead, this feature give equal amount of air time for the clients connected to the radio, this is another knob you can tune.

The next feature is the AP Load balancing (system wide) under the RRM page, this feature is used in attempt to redistribute the clients load, this is to avoid one AP to have tons of clients while its neighbor APs are under use.  That feature use a similar algo taken from Band steering above.

If you have any other question on MSM wifi, feel free to ask.

Good day!

Teclatin
Occasional Advisor

Will that "Traffic Shapping" still work if we do not use Access Control on the VSC?

Z273
Frequent Advisor

Hi Teclatin,

"Traffic shapping/Airtime Fairness" is independent of Access Control on the VSC.

Airtime Fairness is happening on the wireless side while Access Control on the VSC is more on the wire side.

So the answer is Yes.

Good day.

Arimo
Respected Contributor

Check Release Notes of 6.4.2.1. There's a number of client connectivity fixes.

HTH,

Arimo
HPE Networking Engineer
sjordet
Advisor

Sounds very interesting - but when will it be available? :)

Regards,

Stian

Arimo
Respected Contributor

6.4.2.0 has been available since early December 2014. 6.4.2.1 was released just a few days ago, and it will be available in a few days.

6.4.2.1 does not contain fixes, only 2 enhancements:

- Removed support for SSLv3

- Updated to support new ETSI EN 300 328 V1.8.1 and EN 301 893 V1.7.1 requirements

HTH,

Arimo
HPE Networking Engineer
sjordet
Advisor

Oh, ok. I'm aware of the 6.4.2.0 - but you wrote "Check Release Notes of 6.4.2.1", so I thought you meant that was the one with all the fixes.

Anyways, I can't use any software later than 6.4.1.0 because of a bug affecting our VoWLAN phones. Level 3 support actually promised me "a PoF from the lab" for that bug after I've been having a support case about it for months, so I'm very anxious to see if the fix from

Z273
Frequent Advisor

Hi Sjordet,

I'm curious to know what kind of problem you had with VoWlan phones, I know you already has a support case with HP, however if you can disclose a little bit about the opened case like the brand of the phone you are using and the config of the AP, I might have a good idea of the why.

Also if the lab has promised to give you a pof and they keep you waiting, please remind them friendly about this pof, they must not keep you waiting.

Regards.

sjordet
Advisor

Hi Z273,

It's Alcatel 8118. To make a long story short. Up untill fw version v.5.7.4 (last v5.x I tried) everything worked perfectly - no problem what so ever. From v6.0.0 up untill v6.4.1 it mostly works, but we sometimes have problems with bad sound and disconnects. Users are not happy, but it more or less works ok. From v6.4.2.0 and up til v.6.5.0.1 (at least) the handsets won't even connect.

Actually, this morning I got a call from support saying that they fix had been deployed at another customer (have no idea why that customer isn't me...) and it is working. Probably it's just the connect issue from v.6.4.2.0 that is fixed, but I have to deal with one issue at a time here.

As I understood L3's feedback from my packets dumps, the problem is that a "Data ACK" sent by the handset is never received by the PBX. I don't know why, but it seems they had an idea.

He assured me that my case had the highest priority (bla, bla, bla) that I would get the fix as soon as possible, but he could not promise me a date - it was up to the developers.

The 8118 handsets were updated to the latest firmware (which is said to support RRM among other things) - but that made no difference.

Do you have any ideas?

Z273
Frequent Advisor

Hi Sjordet,

I'm more familiar with Spectralink phone and had worked on Spectralink certification of HP APs, on of the checkbox you might want to try is the "Spectralink VIEW" checkbox under the Radio configuration, this checkbox will ensure a better care for frame tagged as voice.

The Spectralink voice certification is difficult to get, however HP had such certification, it does mean one cannot enable the "Spectralink VIEW" when using other vendor VoIP phones if those phones used is also SIP based like Spectralink. 

The second thing you can do is to create a VSC dedicated for Voice,  under Quality of Service, you force all the traffic for that VSC to "VSC Based Very High", this will ensure all traffic for this VSC will be processed as WMM AC=Voice.

You can also use Diffserv, however you need to know the DSCP code used by the phone and PBX to map them into wifi WMM AC=Voice, this is a little bit tricky unless you have good doc from the PBX and your phone telling you what DSCP code they use to send voice traffic, you can look at a wireless trace or wire to see this value.

But try my  first suggestion to dedicated a VSC to "VSC Based Very High".

You can have another VSC for regular data traffic, however I don't recommend that since the VSC share the same radio, best effort traffic can block voice shortly because best effort frames have higher retries count than voice.  You have to chose here, protecting voice or not.

Another aspect mostly unknown is most VoIP phone are using WMM-PS (power save) a.k.a. the famous UAPSD, this method of doing power save help the phone to be more responsive and yet still do some good power saving.  Most respectable VoIP phones implement this features and most enterprise APs like HP, Cisco, Aruba have such support, the thing is both AP and client device have to have UAPSD, you can see this feature from a wireless trace when the phone try to connect to the AP and the AP advertises this capability in the beacon.

The third thing I want to to try is to increase the "scan ratio" by changing it from 0.5% to lowest 0.1%, this setting is under the radio config, the AP since 6.x release does a periodic scan for RRM and IDS purpose, the scan might interfere the on going voice call if the AP fails to detect a VoIP traffic, usually if VoIP is detected, the AP is supposed to postpone the scan until the voice call ends.

Please try the 3 suggestions I made to see if this can improve your voice call.

Another question I want to ask before ending this long message 8-)  Are you under ETSI regulation domain?  if you don't know you can just tell me the Country you configured the MSM controller.

Cheers.