1748195 Members
2709 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

MSM760, Controlled APs across a L3 network

Fredrik Wellner
Occasional Contributor

MSM760, Controlled APs across a L3 network

Newbie question. I have worked with Cisco unified wireless before, and I'm starting to get a hang of the differences. My question is how do I set up AP management over a Layer 3 network? I.E: the controller and the APs are on different subnets. Using L3 is mentioned in the Management and configuration guide, but I can't find any documentation on how it is done.

As far as I understand the APs must communicate with the LAN port on the MSM760. The problem is how do I set up routing, can I set a defaut gateway for the LAN port somewhere?

Thanks in advance,

Fredrik

3 REPLIES 3
Troy Jollimore
Advisor

Re: MSM760, Controlled APs across a L3 network

It's been awhile now since I've looked at it, but I remember setting up VLANs and routes and having the controller never notice the APs unless they were on the same subnet. You'll probably have to set up a VLAN shared by the APs and the controller, using the same subnet.

You don't need the APs to communicate only with the LAN port, they can use the Internet port as well.
Fredrik Wellner
Occasional Contributor

Thanks. I decided to move the appliance, taking the easy way out. :-)

/Fredrik
p3rlphr33k
Occasional Advisor

It depends on what you are doing I guess. You could setup vlans and use a ip-helper address to point to the default vlan DHCP server, or use DHCP option 43 to assign vendor specific info to a new scope. either option would work.