M and MSM Series
1753315 Members
5180 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion

MSM760 Controller & MSM410's losing Connection on Clients getting 169.... IP addresses

Centura201

MSM760 Controller & MSM410's losing Connection on Clients getting 169.... IP addresses

I have a MSM760 controller and MSM410 AP's.  I am running 5.7.0.2 firmware updated from 5.5.3.  I have 28 AP's spread around my building connected to 4 different 2910AL's.  Two of these switches were updated in December and the issue predates their replacement.

At random times the clients will start getting 169 IP addresses and lose all connection to the network.  These are mostly Mac computers on the network.  HP engineers seem to think that it is a dhcp issue and on the switch level.  Sometimes after waiting 10-20 minutes, the issue will go away.  Most of the time I cannot wait and have to restart the AP from the controller.

I have been working with HP but they cannot find anything that would cause this.  I have sent them log files, config files, sh techs, and some packet captures.  They seem to be as stumped as I am.

3 REPLIES 3
JesseR
Regular Advisor

Re: MSM760 Controller & MSM410's losing Connection on Clients getting 169.... IP addresses

I would ask for a case escalation if I were you.  And be adamant about following up with them.   Look for a thread further down this forums page that has about 50 or more responses for over nearly a year detailing that kind of issue you're experiencing.

This is definitely seen in Apple-centric environments too.  I've witnessed it myself.  In one case, I had an AP (422) that had to get replaced because of the 169. DHCP addresses being handed out randomly for no reason.  Replacing the AP fixed it.  For THAT specific location...  others haven't been as lucky.

Jesse R
Source One Technology, Inc.
HP Partner

MSM 5.7.x deployment guide:

erik1359
Occasional Advisor

Re: MSM760 Controller & MSM410's losing Connection on Clients getting 169.... IP addresses

If you are using a external DHCP server, maybe you server is full and cannot assign more IP in the range that you previously has defined. 

rsaeks
Occasional Advisor

I've been working with HP as well on this simialr issue.  It only seems to be in the 5GHz band, and mostly on machines with Thunderbolt.  When the problem appears, rebooting the AP seems to resolve the issue.  The part numbers of most of my APs are J9358A with a few being the newer J9358B model.

I would love to try and get your case number so I can that to HP for additional information.