M and MSM Series
1752614 Members
4710 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: MSM760 Password Recovery

bberens_wp

MSM760 Password Recovery

Is defaulting the controller the only way to recover from a lost/forgotten password?

Any advice or recommendation is appreciated.

Thanks.

Cheers.

8 REPLIES 8
gglater
Regular Advisor

If you had enabled the "Enable Password Console Reset" checkbox and you had physical access to the unit, you could use the CLI to reset the password.

If that feature is not enabled, you will need to perform a factory reset.

--glen

DougB-CCCP
Frequent Advisor

In case you do have that feature enabled, here is the process (so you don't have to dig through the documentation to find it as I did):

-Connect to the controller's console - 8-n-1, 9600

-Reboot the controller.  Log in as user 'emergency'.

-Follow the prompts to reset the password.

----------------
HP ASE (Mobility), Infrastructure Engineer
Jeslin
Occasional Collector

Hello team i want to reset the password alone and i need the old Configuration... Please Suggest

David J Wood
Trusted Contributor

I don't know that unit at all well, but I think you'll find recovering the configuration if you've lost the password is impossible by design. The configuration contains security-sensitive information such as shared secrets for RADIUS servers.

Have you confirmed the serial port password recovery mechanism mentioned by previous posters is disabled?

Though there is a small security risk in doing so, it's worth considering setting network devices to authenticate management log-ins using RADIUS. In this scenario, recovering from a lost password simply requires changing the password on the RADIUS server (or creating a new account that sends the correct management attributes in the Access-Accept).

Vivek_Singh
Advisor

Hi Jeslin,

To recover password:

1. Connect to controller using Console Cable

2. Reboot the controller and wait for Login prompt

3. Enter "emergency" without quote as username and after that it will give two option i.e.

4. reset password, select 1

5. after that it will give same prompt, select 0.

6. now you can use default username and password i.e. admin/admin.

Please try this and let me know the reasult.

Regards,
Vivek Kumar Singh
HP Networking
Jeslin
Occasional Collector

Hi Vivek,

We tried rebooting the device and tried by entering emergency it is wasking for the password i tried with admin, blank. it is not working pls suggest.

cmccondochie
Occasional Visitor

hi,

I am having the same issue whereby the password reset using the emergency username is not resetting the password back to admin/admin.

Is there any other way to get onto the controller without losing config?

thanks kindly.

RLCTechsupport
Occasional Visitor

Hi,

How about if the console is not working, even you did the reboot? How can we reset it to factory default? reset and clear button is not working as per my experienced and this guy,

What doesn’t work

The documentationtalks about using the Reset and Clear buttons together to return the device to factory defaults. Here’s a picture of the device:

@cmccondochie wrote:

hi,

I am having the same issue whereby the password reset using the emergency username is not resetting the password back to admin/admin.

Is there any other way to get onto the controller without losing config?

thanks kindly.

http://consultingtales.com/2013/06/26/hp-msm720-wireless-controller-factory-reset-firmware-bug/