Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MSM765 basic setup

Highlighted
Izula
Advisor

MSM765 basic setup

Hey Guys,

I am new to the MSM series gear, I have setup the previouse generation Wireless gear with little problem but I am having no luck with the new stuff.
We have what I think should be a pretty easy setup.
I would like to have two wireless networks and at current we would like to use Windows AD for one of the networks and then just WPA on the Guest network.
I can not get the MSM to join the network, I have tried the timezone change and still will not join. So I was going to try and setup to have both wireless use WPA for security.
I have 2 Vlan's, Vlan 1 - Main VLan and Vlan 55 Guest vlan goes to a router that goes to the internet. I want SSID 1 to go to Vlan 1 and SSID 2 to go to VLan 55 how do I get this setup.

Jesse

P.S. This thread has been moved from Communications, Wireless (Legacy ITRC forum) to MSM Series. -HP Forum Moderator

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Shadow13
Respected Contributor

Re: MSM765 basic setup

For the MSM controller to join the domain, you can follow as mentioned in the below document (the 765zl will use sync the time from the chassis where is's installed, so just make sure the time is sync or configure it to sync with a timeserver as the AD):

https://my.procurve.com/knowledgebase/knowledgemanagement.aspx?wp=showarticle&id=1517

To map the VSCs to vlans, configure the VSCs as authentication only (uncheck access control) and then go to VSC binding in the group where the APs are and bind each VSC with the group and check "use egress VLAN " and put the vlan ID you want, do this for both VSCs then sync tha APs, and make sure that the APs ports are tagged for these vlans on the switch.

Highlighted
Izula
Advisor

Thanks allot thats what I needed, I still cant get the Active Directory to work but I now have two SSID's setup and people can connect and use the appropriate network.

I was looking at using the HTML Auth for the Guest SSID and not using WPA or mayne WPA and HTML but I try to enable it with Local Users and it just allows people to surf without asking for a username. Did I miss something?

Jesse
Highlighted
Shadow13
Respected Contributor

Since you have MSM 765zl then you better check the below from the release notes of the 5.3.5 firmware

43494 (Only MSM765zl.) When the MSM765zl Mobility Controller is installed in a switch
chassis that has its clock set to a time zone other than GMT-5, the MSM765zl will not be
able to join an Active Directory realm. As a workaround, set the switch chassis clock to
the GMT-5 time zone (expressed in the MSM765zl configuration as GMT-300 minutes).

the link for the release note is below:
http://cdn.procurve.com/training/Manuals/MSM7xx-RN-Apr10-5998-0556-v535.pdf
Highlighted
Izula
Advisor

Thanks for the heads up, I have made the change to the timezone on the switch and made sure the time is in sync with the DC and still no luck.