1751817 Members
5480 Online
108782 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

MSN 760 and fallback configuration

ProCurve-Super
Occasional Advisor

MSN 760 and fallback configuration

In Customer Site we have two MSN 760 controller, please light me how to configure fallback between these two controllers.
5 REPLIES 5
cenk sasmaztin
Honored Contributor

Re: MSN 760 and fallback configuration

why do you use two controller ?
cenk

ProCurve-Super
Occasional Advisor

We have MSN 780 two numbers and 18 Access point, if one controller fails the second controller should work as Back up, we have given the solution like that.

Please light me how to configure fallback between two controllers.
ProCurve-Super
Occasional Advisor

Do MSN 760 will support fallback or not ? please some one light me on this.
Shadow13
Respected Contributor

There is a new feature in the new firmware 5.4 for the failback, but this require a contract to get the new firmware.

for the old software this feature is not available 100% but you can provision the APs and put the ip addresses of the 2 controllers so that when the 1st one fails the AP will try to connect to the other controller, but this will take time and not a real failback mechanism.

Check the configuration guide for provisioning configuration

Note that the controllers must have different priorities, note also that these priorities are important if you are using L3 roaming
Mike Hydra
Occasional Advisor

There are 2 ways todo this.

1) HP is working on a Virtual MSC setup
which will create a new IP out of 2 760 controller and "load balance" the MAP's
Meaning when 1 controller goes down the MAP doesn't know about it because it's talking to the virtual IP which stays active with just 1 controller.

2) Backup controller (=fail over)
In this way you set every MAP with a primary controller and a backup controller.
When they loose connectivity to the first controller it will start checking for the second controller and join there.
This can take a couple of minutes with downtime due to the failover and authenticating against the backup controller.

I believe the first solution is also more expensive and you require an additional license (i believe)

Mike Hydra
2 Fast 4 Wireless