6113 Online
108787 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Mac OSX Lion disconnect issues

ljorg
Occasional Advisor

Mac OSX Lion disconnect issues

Hi,

Running a site with 16 MSM-430s APs and daily around 3-400 concurrent users. Windows, phones, iPads and whatnots connect without issue.

But Macs running OS X Lion have tons of issues. Some days things just works, other days they can connect for about two seconds, get an IP address and then promptly disconnect. The console on the mac says "Beacon Loss Event" and "Airportd Timeout".

The SSID in question has no wireless protection. I created a new VSC that has exactly the same parameters as the previous one except a new name and a WPA key. This seems to work flawlessly on the Macs.

Is this a known issue? Is there a fix? We would prefer to run the VSC without wireless protection as this is a public network in an educational institution.

7 REPLIES 7
hkdesi
Occasional Visitor

Re: Mac OSX Lion disconnect issues M1522nf Laserjet

Hi,

I'm not sure if my issue is the same. I run 4 devices ( 2 Macbooks, Iphone and Ipad) off an Airport Extreme base stateion network. Recently my HP Laserjet M1522nf keeps getting disconnected from the network. It shows up on the Mac as idle, but I can't print or scan anything untill I power off the printer and restart. 

Any suggestions on how to fix this?

Many thanks

gglater
Regular Advisor

Have you opened a case with technical support?

I think that support will be able to assist you with this.

Thanks.

--glen

Arimo
Respected Contributor

Hi all

Please be aware that OSX Lion seems to have issues with wireless networking. Apple discussion board (and others) have numerous postings describing inexplicably dropping network connections. There are also numerous articles around the Internet describing what to do to resolve them. It might be also a good idea to contact Apple support about this.

HTH,

Arimo
HPE Networking Engineer
MHE
Occasional Visitor

We have the exact same issues.

We had a consultant from our hardware provider out to check the problem, and as far as we could see it was related to dhcp somehow. The Mac would get an IP, and shortly after get rejected by the controller again.

Is there any news on this problem? We have spend really many hours to try to solve this issue.

Extra note: I should say, that the problem only accours on a VSC secured by WPA. We also run 2 unencrypted guest VSC's using HTML login, and here the Macs can run without any problems, other than having to put in user credentials every time they want to connect. 

JesseR
Regular Advisor

What version of firmware are you running on your controller? On anything 5.7.0.3+, I have not seen any issues with Macbooks disconnecting on a secured WPA VSC. I have thousands out there at various places that don't exhibit this issue.

Older codes had some problems. 5.5.3 and older release and 5.7.0.0 releases, weren't the greatest.
Jesse R
Source One Technology, Inc.
HP Partner

MSM 5.7.x deployment guide:

MHE
Occasional Visitor

We run firmware version 5.7.1 on the  MSM 720 controller, and 430 AP's, witch should be the latest version.

Actually these problems started when we upgraded the firmware, to get rid of problems with 5 Ghz band.

gglater
Regular Advisor

@MHE wrote:

We run firmware version 5.7.1 on the  MSM 720 controller, and 430 AP's, witch should be the latest version.

Actually these problems started when we upgraded the firmware, to get rid of problems with 5 Ghz band.

Can you tell me your support case number please so that I can check on this?

Thank you.