1748238 Members
3773 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Mounting MSM422

Jclausen
Occasional Contributor

Mounting MSM422

What is the absolutely most recommended way to mount an MSM 422 AP. According to the manual, it can eighter be wall or roof mounted, flaps open and flaps closed.

I ask because i had some sitesurvey guys, recommending only one specific way to mount them correctly.

I would like to hear the answer first, and maybe how others mount them.

Thanks 

4 REPLIES 4
Stephen Swain
Frequent Advisor

The antenna guide manual shows what the best options are for a given lobe pattern and coverage area.

Wall mount means you can have both patch and omni options.

Patch style - check the differences with 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz antenna lobe results. Plus, make sure it is mounted vertically, if you don't direct the installers correctly, they will get it wrong and mount horizontally.

Ceiling mount means you only have an omni option - with antenna facing down.

In the end, the site survey will dictate what is best for any environment, so my suggestion is always to get a professional site survey report done and follow their recommendations. Doing site surveys yourself is tricky and takes a lot of work.

Regards,

Steve.

Chris Plant1
Occasional Contributor

Just read the above post and technical note, and it beggars belief that my network supplier didn't advise the correct way to mount these MSM422's.

Might explain why my wireless coverage isn't great.

Mine are getting remounted immediately - vertically and with flaps closed.

Stephen Swain
Frequent Advisor

There is a HP produced MSM422 Antenna position Guide. Google search finds it quicker than using the HP website - use search [MSM422 antenna guide].

http://cdn.procurve.com/training/Manuals/r531/MSM422-TN-May09-5900-0238.pdf

Before using vertical with flaps closed, read that guide and reference the section about patch behavior being different for 2.4Ghz vs 5Ghz. It doesn't specifically state the 2.4Ghz patch lobe pattern.

Having used these APs for a while, my preference is to centrally locate these on ceilings. Unfortunately, all of our existing mount points and cabling are wall mounts.

Stephen Swain
Frequent Advisor

I just skimmed the document again, I guess the 2.4Ghz patch behaviour is covered on the second part of page 2. It still acts like an omni.

So when vertical with flaps closed, 2.4Ghz is omni, and 5Ghz is patch.

Unusual. :)