5450 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: N Speed Issues - MSM760 w/ Intel 6200 AGN

Trevor Commulynx
Regular Advisor

N Speed Issues - MSM760 w/ Intel 6200 AGN

Hi All,

I have a major speed issue with my current MSM760/MSM422 x 49 Wireless network. we have 700 Notebooks - 40/60 split between HP 6730B & 6550B. Server 2008 R2 domain network with 802.1x via NPS (RADIUS & Certificates). the 6730B's run the Intel 5100AGN and the 6550B run the Intel Centrino Advanced 6200 AGN (2x2). Radio 1 on the MSM422 is set to N 5Ghz only and radio 2 on G only.

The 6730B login for the first time in about 2-2:30min. setting up new profile of about 51Mb which is acceptable as cabled in is about 1:30min. @ N but the 6550B takes 5minutes on N only but 2 mins on G?

I have tried all the different NIC settings, tried all the different drivers fro the 6550B. currently running 13.5.0.6. obviously I need N as some classrooms have 35 notebooks at once.

Please note all these tests were done with the network under full load & when it was idle. I have also tested turning all the AP's around the test ntobook off so only one AP is running and still the same results.

Anyone have any suggestions? I am runnning 5.4 on the MSM760.

Cheers,

Trev.

P.S. This trhead has been moved from Communications, Wireless (Legacy ITRC forum) to MSM Series. - Hp Forum Moderator

18 REPLIES 18
Kevin Kajer

We had this same issue. HP told us to turn the radios to 802.11n/a operation. That seemed to fix all of our problems.

Hadrien9
Occasional Visitor

I am having very similar issues.

We have a MSM710 Mobility controller (5.5.1 firmware) and 7 MSM422 APs. We have a VSC which is configured for every allowable rate and the "Enable WMM" option is enabled. It uses Active Directory auth with WPA2 Enterprise for encryption so that clients can float between APs in the the entire building.

The MSM422s are set for radio 1 as 5GHz with N/A and radio 2 is 2.4GHz and is set for B/G/N.

I have tried numerous network cards (Intel 5200, 6100, and 6200 cards). The cards report they are connecting at 300Mbps but the fastest rate I can get out of any of them is 30Mbps to numerous servers on the network all with 1Gbps uplinks.

I have tried just about every option I can think of and nothing seems to work. I get 50-70Mbps on a Linksys WRT610N and E3000 using WPA2 encryption with the same Intel network cards. I would think that I should be getting better transfer rates with this setup.

Anyone have any suggestions before I call support again?
Trevor Commulynx
Regular Advisor

We have tried all the combinations, updated the revision of the firmware and we are still seeing A & G logging in between 2:00 & 2:30 minutes where as N is consistantly 5:30 - 6:30 minutes. WTF.
Trevor Commulynx
Regular Advisor

I have also done testing on 2.4 & 5Ghz N and we see file copies start at good speed and then they just stop and windows explorer times out. G & A are slow but they complete the file copy. doesn't matter if the file is 100MB or 2GB, still just stops only on N.
ToddMcC

Unfortunately, all I can add is another "me too" to this conversation. Anybody given up and called support and/or found a solution?
Trevor Commulynx
Regular Advisor

Hi ToddMcC, are you running Windows 7 by any chance? We have done further analysis while HP support are looking over the RF and Wire captures we have sent them and I have noticed that we are seeing "TCP Window Full" info when the copy stops. WE think it has something to do with the AP's handling windows 7 TCP scaling. this is just a theory, but we are trying with some other OS's to test this theory.

Trev.
SD52

Unfortunately I have a "me too" on this as well. We saw this on both a 760 controller running 5.3, and a brand new 765ZL running 5.5.2.1. The AP's are MSM410 (roughly 30 of them). Setting them to G only, have no issues.

As soon as we do B/G, they stop to drop client traffic off the grid (for example, a continue ping from a wireless client to a wired network device sees the pings start around sub 10ms, slowly climb over a minute to several thousand ms, then eventually all traffic dies).

The new controller is under support, so I have a ticket in with HP. Hopefully will find a solution. Someone mentioned going to N/A only, if that works, great, but for us we still have a lot of G equipment and will for many years to come.

SD52

FYI, this also happens with Realtek and Intel 6300 client cards (not just the 6200's), so it's gotta be a radio issue I think.
Evan_ISS
Frequent Advisor

I am afraid a "me too" here as well.

I am managing two sites, one with x1 MSM710 with x8 MSM410 and the second with x1 MSM760 with x24 MSM410. Both controllers are on 5.5.2.1.

When even a couple of netbooks (Realtek) try to connect they drop after a couple of minutes. Conf is mixed b/g/n with Power Saving on.

Short of putting everything on just N (does that even work?) or just G and before I open a ticket with HP, has anyone been succesfull in finding a solution?