1753809 Members
8043 Online
108805 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: N Speed Issues - MSM760 w/ Intel 6200 AGN

Henning Søilen
Advisor

And me too with the same problem. Made a thread a while back regarding the same issue. Haven't seen any response from HP whatsoever.

http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/Communications-Wireless-Legacy/msm710-and-msm422-cannot-handle-jumbo-frames/m-p/4791478/highlight/true#M8771

Regards,

Henning

Evan_ISS
Frequent Advisor

Hi Henning,

has the latest software (5.5.2.1) offered some kind of solution? I think I saw in the release notes something that looks very similar to your problem (64824 - p6 & 49182 - p16).

We were suffering from the second until we upgraded. Hasn't made any difference to the mixed mode problem though.

FYI, I tested with G only and everything flies (in the MSM710 site with x15 Realtek netbooks on a single radio).  Will test with N only (same site) next week.

I am trying to get in touch with HP networking engineers via our reseller as calls logged via the web or phone are met with what can only be described as disgraceful support.

Henning Søilen
Advisor

Hello everyone,

Looks like the partially fixed it in 5.5.2.1, behavior changed but still stalls occasionally.

and it seems permanently fixed in build 5.5.2.14-01-10104

Regards,

Henning

Arimo
Respected Contributor

Hi Henning

Just a couple of little comments.

"Made a thread a while back regarding the same issue. Haven't seen any response from HP whatsoever"

These forums are a peer resource HP offers to customers. You may our people occassionally answering questions, but these answers won't cause any action from HP per se. We're not answering in official way here, but on our own time. To have issues reported to technical support you will need to contact support and open a troubleshooting case, either via telephone or through My Networking portal.

"Looks like the partially fixed it in 5.5.2.1, behavior changed but still stalls occasionally. and it seems permanently fixed in build 5.5.2.14-01-10104"

The warranty says that you're eligible to have maintenance releases for your device for one year after purchase, after that a Care Pack is required. For upgrades a Care Pack is required from day 1. That means that if your device is currently running 5.4 -branch, you can't have a SW upgrade to 5.5 -branch even if you find a fix for your issue there. That will require purchasing a SW Care Pack.

There's also another point. The fact that for example 5.4 Release Notes do not contain a fix but 5.5 RN has it doesn't mean that the issue isn't fixed on 5.4. The SW branches are separately developed - it may be that the issue isn't even present on the 5.4. It is also possible that similar behavior is present, but it's caused by a different trigger. In that case it would have a different bug number.

HTH,

Arimo
HPE Networking Engineer
Henning Søilen
Advisor

I do understand that this is not an official support channel. Forums like this however is probably the best venue for end users to vent their problems. For the same reasons it's also a perfect place for HP engineers to spot defects with their products and I was assuming you had an eye on what was going on here.

In my case this problem have been present on MSM422 since 5.36 and aparently solved more than a year later in 5.52.14.

I have carepacks for single accesspoints and controller.

Regards,

Henning

Henning Søilen
Advisor

Just want to add that I have been through 5.41, 5.42, 5.52.1 and at last 5.52.14. I also find it a bit strange that there are different branches in development in 5.3, 5.4 and 5.5 due to the fact that the build number on all those releases have incrementing and consecutive numbers.

Henning
Richard535
Occasional Visitor

I have the same issue and have open a ticket with HP. HP have addressed the issue and will be fixed in firmware build 5.7.x which will be release this month? I hope

Evan_ISS
Frequent Advisor

If anyone is still following this thread find below an update:

We have upgraded to firware 5.7.0.2-01-10750 but without much success.

MSM410s in mixed mode just go berserk with a variety of client NICs.

This happens in x3 different sites that I manage with a mixture of MSM710/MSM760 controllers and from x8 to x24 MSM410s.

Initially we thought it was the lack of Tx Protection, so legacy clients were broadcasting willy nilly but now that this has been added to the MSM410s I am frankly at a loss why this happens.

In our case the problem manifests itself by a sudden rise in noise levels that usually disconnects clients from the AP. Some reconnect quickly, some others hang there for a substantial amount of time (max is 2 minutes). SNR when this happens is atrocious, hence the disconnects/slowness.

We have a few MSM460s as well that seem to be immune (we have other issues with them :-)) so I can only think this is a HW issue.

Edit: When in pure G or N mode all works very well.

Mike W Burns

I have a similar problem, but with only 1 of 3 APs.  It is in a clean room with 5 or 6 Nics, the other 2 connect only to HP and Lenovo laptops and have no problem.  I have shifted them around with no improvment in results.  The one in the clean room is always the problem. 

I have upgraded to 5.7.2.0-12736 and that actually seems to make the problem worse.