1753514 Members
5034 Online
108795 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Network Trace on MSM422 / MSM760

Randy Saeks
Occasional Advisor

Network Trace on MSM422 / MSM760

I'm trying to look at how to work with the Network Trace feature on our 422 WAPs and 760 controller. I've been able to set the AP to use a local packet capture, but can't seem to obtain the resulting capture.

Has anyone here worked with the network capture functionality? Would it be best to use the remote URL handler instead, and if so, what is the format of those.

I've been unable to really find this in the documentation that I've found from HPs site.

Thanks

P.S. This thread has been moved from Communications, Wireless (Legacy ITRC forum) to MSM Series. -HP Forum Moderator

3 REPLIES 3
Ralf Krause
Frequent Advisor

Hi Randy,

first thing you have to make sure is that the radio you want to capture the trace with is set to Monitor Mode:
--> Configuration --> Radio --> Operating Mode --> Monitor

Next, make sure to capture the correct channel.

After tha, go to --> Tools --> Network Trace
Check the port representing the radio which you pot in Monitor Mode and "Start Trace".
You may not see captured packets until you "Stop Trace".

If your Destination was set to Local, the trace is locally captured on the AP and you can download it to your PC with the buttons at the very bottom of the screen: wither as ASCII or in (Wireshark readable) pcap format.

Hope that helps,
Ralf
Randy Saeks
Occasional Advisor

Ralf,

Thanks for the info. That helps a lot.

This should hopefully be one last question. When setting the radio to monitor is the best approach to use:

Automatic
The channel I wish to monitor
A non-overlapping channel

Or, does it not really matter if the radio is only in radio mode?

Thanks
Ralf Krause
Frequent Advisor

You should set it to the particular channel you want to trace on.
Otherwise you trace stuff, but not the one of interest.

Regards,
Ralf