1748172 Members
4225 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Obtaining MSM422 firmware

P L Derby
Occasional Advisor

Obtaining MSM422 firmware

I recently purchased an MSM422 access point that came with 5.3.1.0-01-7143 Firmware.  This access point kept dropping the 802.11n connections after a few hours and wouldn't allow reconnection by wireless clients.   As I suspected, there is much newer firmware that seems to have solved the 802.11n stability.  As of Feb 7, 2011, the firmware level for the MSM 422 is 5.3.6.18-01-9217.
The HP web site  incorrectly claims there is no firmware update for this device.
I did open 2 tickets asking for assistance.  One one Feb 6 and one on Feb 7.  Neither ticket was responded to.
Needing to get this access point stable, I called HP's tech support number and after talking to someone briefly to determine which queue to place me, I waited on hold for 63 minutes before being connected to a support person.  
After giving the support person my two case numbers, one of which  had my receipt for the MSM422 showing my unit was new and under warranty, she placed the firmware in an FTP "shared" folder which I downloaded and upgraded the Access Point.  The new firmware is MUCH better.  The AP now appears to be stable.
So it took 2 days, 2 tickets, an hour of web surfing, and an hour of hold time to get to HP.  It took 5 minutes to get the needed upgrade and a couple of minutes to do the upgrade. Of the 2 hours, 5 minutes it took to solve this problem, 5 minutes were productive and 2 hours were wasted due to HP's processes for support.
I sure hope HP cleans up the process to get to firmware for the MSS442.  Right now it is a HUGE waste of time and a big hassle just to get to someone to get firmware upgrades.  The support person tried to explain the contorted process as  having something to do with the Sarbanes-Oxley act.  I didn't even try to understand that explanation....  Sigh.....

6 REPLIES 6
Tony Barrett_2
Frequent Advisor

Hi Paul. I'm also struggling to get new firmware for the MSM422 AP's. We have one we're trialling, and have a couple of issues. You're right that checking online shows no firmware available.

Any chance you could give me a link to the firmware, or send a copy via email? I'd really appreciate it. Hopefully HP will get their act sorted out, and make sure the online support for this AP is resolved asap.

Tmorg

I could use the new firware too if possible. I really don't want to go through the same process you did you get it :) Thanks in advance if possible you could also email to tmorg [at] clnk.com

P L Derby
Occasional Advisor

Sorry not to respond earlier.  I just checked this thread.  I ended up buying support for my MSM422 from HP since that is the only way they will provide firmware.  So the HP Access Point software is being handled much differently than the other Procurve products that I own.

Since they "sell" the upgrades I can't distribute their commercial software...  sorry, wish I could help.

I think selling this firmware is a bad business move for HP.  The firmware is buggy and should be fixed as part of the outrageous cost of these access points.

Just my personal opinion.

Arimo
Respected Contributor

Hi all

For the first year after purchase you're entitled to get maintenance releases for the SW branch which is current at the purchase date. Any updates require a SW care pack. For example 5.4.2 is a maintenance release for 5.4 -branch, but to go from 5.4 to 5.5 requires a care pack.

If you've purhased your device this year after Feb 1st, you're eligible to get the 5.5 -branch as this is the current release. If your purchase date is before that, you can have 5.4. The fastest and easiest way to get the maintenance release is to call your local HP Networking support.

HTH,

Arimo
HPE Networking Engineer
gleirvik
Frequent Visitor

I believe it is a bad idea to charge for firmware fixes given they provide no change to form or function - as such I believe all bug fixes needs to come for free. Charging for firmware updates is also a departure from the Procurve lifetime warranty  - the least HP could do it to provide the latest update firmwares available for EoS products like these. 

Arimo
Respected Contributor

Since this old thread resurfaced, I'll take the opportunity to clarify the entitlement for firmware releases.

Our device warranty changed 1 Aug 2013. All devices purchased before that are subject to the previous FW entitlement conditions:

• A device was entitled for FW upgrades for one year after purchase date, bug fix only.
  • Definition: 5.5.1 to 5.5.3 = bug fix, free of charge. 5.5 to 5.7 or 5.x to 6.x = upgrade, requires SW contract

Exceptions to the rule:

• MSM720 has a lifetime entitlement for FW upgrades without limitations
  • If you purchase MSM430/46x APs, you're entitled for FW version 5.5 regardless of the controller age
  • If you purchase MSM466-R, you're entitled for FW version 5.7 regardless of the controller age
  • If you purchase HP 425 AP, you're entitled for 6.x regardless of the controller age

So with a new AP you're entitled to have whichever FW version is required to use the AP. However it does not entitle for further upgrades or support on SW-related issues.

Devices purchased on or after Aug 1 2013 fall under Warranty 2.0. The purchase price includes a SW support contract for one to three years, depending on the device. This contract entitles for FW upgrades for the duration of the contract, and 24x7 telephone support.

For closer information about Warranty 2.0 please see our wty page http://h17007.www1.hp.com/us/en/networking/support/warranty/index.aspx

HTH,

Arimo
HPE Networking Engineer