4173 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Radio Channel Management not working on 5ghz with MSM720 and MSM430

morphman
Visitor

Radio Channel Management not working on 5ghz with MSM720 and MSM430

Hi all,

installed a new system with 7 MSM430 and 1 MSM466-R all supposed to be controlled with MSM720.

1st problem is that radio management is not being managed correctly by the msm720.

all devices gets channel 36 on 5ghz band.

when i put on the radio profile to exclude channel 36 all of them gets channel 40. this cause a large conflicts that is not being resolved on the automatic managment.

2.4 ghz band is doing pretty well (not amazing but ok).

i'm using firmware ver 6.0

2nd problem whenever i'm trying to add the MSM466-R it's going into a loop of "Uploading configuration" and "Resetting configuration" and never going into syncronized.

whatever i tried didn't work. i must mention that i'm in Israel and this device have Radio 1 (5ghz band) disabled due to goverment policy to disallow 5ghz band broadcasting outside of buildings.

also wonder if there is anyway to delete that default VSC HP - it's always there - i disabled it from broadcasting SSID but i don't want to see it on the controller. how to remove it?

please help....

4 REPLIES 4
tschaps
Valued Contributor

Sounds like you found a bug with the channel setting on the new 6.0 firmware. Not likely many people here have used it. With just 7 to manage, you could set channels manually for now. As for the HP VSC, you can rename it and use it for one of your own VSC's. The MSM466 problem might be related to the beta firmware, too. Can you bring it indoors to test different VSC settings? You could also follow setup instructions to put it in autonomous mode to see if it has a hardware problem.
morphman
Visitor

it feels like a bug...

currently this is what i did - set it up manualy - but what's the controller for? this was the whole purpose to buy a controller.

no way to remove the HP one?

msm466-r is currently in autonomous mode since controlled couldn't work at all.

it seems like this can't be controller due to the Radio 1 disabled - but it's disabled by HP so they should know how to identify it when it's attaching into the controller.

tschaps
Valued Contributor

First off, let me again start by saying that version 6.0.0.0 is "early release," and you aren't likely to find much help here if the problem is related to the new software version. You're essentially a beta tester for HP, and you might consider reverting to 5.7.2 if for no other reason than to see if the problems you're seeing are a bug in the new release. Otherwise, you should definitely be opening a case with HP. 

What setting were you using to disable the 5 Ghz radio on the 466-R in the controller? Is it possible you could enable the radio again but set its operating mode to "monitor," which should not broadcast anything, and see if that makes a difference in the config uploading problem?

Another way to effectively disable the radio would be to have a separate group for the 466-R and have no VSC's bound to radio 1 under Groups--> Group Name--> VSC bindings. I see no reason why disabling radio 1 would make the 466-R "uncontrollable," but if you tinker with some settings, you may prove or disprove that theory. 

As for that HP VSC, it is probably not deleteable to avoid accidentally having no VSC's configured, who knows... In any case, you can rename it and configure its SSID and other settings any way you want, so don't let it annoy you, just put it to use, maybe your primary SSID, so you know it will never get deleted--

Good luck

Arimo
Respected Contributor

Hi Morphman

Starting from the bottom.

You can't disable the default VSC. You can re-name it, you can disable it (i.e. uncheck "Virtual AP" checkbox) but that's about it.

Another thing completely is 6.0. As mentioned it's on Early Availability state. Different FW states are explained in K-Software User Guide, and this is how EA is described:

"Early Availability software is recommended for use in:

• Lab testing prior to upgrading a production network

• Evaluation of new features prior to general deployment

• Evaluation with specific applications prior to wider deployment"

For production network stick to 5.7 -branch until 6.0 goes to General Availability state. The two issues you describe sound very much like 6.0-branch issues. If you get the same problems with 5.7, I suggest calling support.

HTH,

Arimo
HPE Networking Engineer