M and MSM Series
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Two MSM760s in the same network. AP's not being detected by the correct controller

Highlighted
BrewCrew
Occasional Advisor

Two MSM760s in the same network. AP's not being detected by the correct controller

We have had an MSM760 for about 4 years that controlled 30 APs. We recently purchased an additional MSM760 to control new MSM430APs in a new addition. I pulled the config from the old controller and restored it to the new controller. I then changed the IP addresses and removed AP groups along with the old controlled APs. I was then manually entered a couple of new APs with their MAC addresses then the new controller would see them and control them.

After testing that I decided that I should update the firmware on the new MSM to 6.4.0.0-16925. After I did that the new controller will no longer detect previously controlled APs without me reseting the APs to factory default with the reset button. The controller will see the new APs after I reset them, but it will not take control. Looking at the summary of Pending APs I can see the AP listed with a Diagnostic of "Establishing Tunnel" and it will sit there forever. While I was waiting for this to do something I looked at my old contoller and I was able to see that new APs were, for a short time, showing as Pending on the old MSM then they would dissapear. I disabled the device discovery on the old MSM by unchecking the Active Interfaces under Discovery and then the new controller would see the new APs and control them. Once I power cycled the new APs after this the new controller would not see them again requiring me to factory reset the APs.

Ideas? Clues? Help? Should I revert back to the 5. firmware?

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
BrewCrew
Occasional Advisor

Re: Two MSM760s in the same network. AP's not being detected by the correct controller

**Update**

I reset the new MSM760 to factory defaults and I am still having an issue with the APS being detected by the correct controller. Once I disable discovery listening on the old controller the APs will allow themselves to be discovered by the new controller. Anyone else run two controllers in the same network?

Highlighted
Arimo
Respected Contributor

Re: Two MSM760s in the same network. AP's not being detected by the correct controller

Hi BrewCrew

Firstly, uploading the config from old controller to new one is unlikely to succeed in the first place. New FW branches bring configuration changes and new features which aren't present in the old file so you will have problems with it.

I've seen similar things happening, but there's no real way I can tell why it's happening in your network. Are the APs provisioned? If yes, they'll be searching for the old controller IP address. They might also be booting up stuck with old configuration, and will default to the old controller.

By running two separate controllers in the same LAN you're effectively creating two independed wireless networks. Things like roaming will most likely work less seamlessly as you'd like. I think your best option would be to put the old controller back to the network and prevent new controller from discovery, then re-create the configuration manually in the new controller. After this you can just enable teaming on both controllers, using the new one as team master. It will then upgrade your old controller to same FW level and re-configure it. If you're doing Layer 2 discovery, the APs should be found without problems.

HTH,

Arimo
HPE Networking Engineer
Highlighted
BrewCrew
Occasional Advisor

Arimo,

Thank you for the reply.

Since my last update, and before reading your reply, I preformed another factory reset on the new controller downgraded the new controller to V 6.0.2.2-16979 and upgraded my old one to 6.0.2.2-16979 as well. I then pulled the config from the old one and uploaded to the new one. The old APs are still only reporting to the old controller, as they are suppsosed to, but the new ones are being picked up by both. I have the new controller set to a discovery priority of 1 and the old controller set as 16.

I had, with the controllers on different versions, tried to manually input the MAC addresses of the new APs and I was having the problems described in my original post. I will have to try that again.

I saw that there was a teaming option, but the controller wants a license for that feature. Is this correct?

Is there a way to set an access point to only be managed by a specific controller?

Highlighted
Arimo
Respected Contributor

Hi BrewCrew

Since your devices ask for a license you have Access Controllers. Teaming indeed is only possible with Mobility Controllers. To transform an AC to MC you need to purchase Premium Mobility License.

Just from the top of my head there's two ways to determine which APs are managed by which controller. You can force the APs to authenticate either with an authentication list or RADIUS, or you can provision the APs with controller IP address. For authentication see the contextual help under Controlled APs / Authentication tab. Provisioning is described in the configuration guide.

EDIT

Oh yes - about two independent networks...

Since you're not able to team the devices, check out mobility domains. This is described in the manual in section "Mobility traffic manager".

HTH,

Arimo
HPE Networking Engineer