New Discussion

Re: Unable to manage HP 425 Access Point WW with COM Port

SOLVED
Go to solution
Vesen
Occasional Advisor

Unable to manage HP 425 Access Point WW with COM Port

Hello,

I have recently received 3 Access Point  HP 425 WW (JG654A), and I'm trying to configure it through Serial COM port (Console).  Unfortunately, in PuTTY or even with TeraTerm, I see nothing. Sometimes when I'm resetting the AP, I can see some strange characters but that's it.  The 3 AP have the same issue.  Changing the speed of the Serial line doesn't work too.

I have a ProCurve switch and I have no trouble to configure it, everything works smoothly.  I don't understand...

Any kind of help would be appreciated. Thanks.

P.S. This thread has been moved from Communications, Wireless (Legacy ITRC forum) to  MSM Series. -HP Forum Moderator

5 REPLIES 5
Emil_G
HPE Pro

Hi,

This APs can work only in controlled mode. That means that you need a controller to configure the APs. I suspect thats the reason why you cannot connect the the AP via console.

One could ask why then does this AP need a console port. I guess that it is intended only for troubleshooting and debugging.

Here is the list of the controllers which can manage the AP HP 425 

Compatible with HP controllers and unified switches and modules

• HP MSM720, MSM760, MSM765zl and MSM775zl version 6.2, minimum
  • HP WX5000 Access Controller Series; controller software version CMW520-R2308P29-EI, minimum
  • HP 10500/7500 20G Unified Wired-WLAN Module; software version CMW520-R2308P29, minimum
  • HP 830 Unified Wired-WLAN Switch Series controller software version CMW520-R3308P29, minimum

http://h20195.www2.hp.com/V2/GetDocument.aspx?docname=4AA5-0345ENW&cc=us&lc=en

I am an HPE employee

Accept or Kudo

Vesen
Occasional Advisor

Hi,

Thanks for ur reply.

I have a WX5002 Access controller, but how do I synchronize them if I can't configure it?

Emil_G
HPE Pro
Solution

Hi,

The AP will find the controller with the factory settings but some conditions must be met and configuration on the controller is necessary.

The AP should be able to obtain an IP address from a DHCP server.

If the AP obtains an IP in the same ip subnet where the controller has an ip interface, meaning they are in the same VLAN then the AP will discover the controller via UDP Layer 2 broadcast.

The controller will allow the AP to connect only if it has a managment template for this AP in the configuration. Typically a template includes name of the AP, model of the AP and serial number.

But you can also enable auto-ap which will allow the controller to accept all the APs of this model, no matter what is the serial number.

If the AP receives an IP address in a different IP subnet and different VLAN compared to the controller, then you should consider a mechanism to provide the IP address of the controller to the AP. This can be DHCP option 43 or DNS (AP will try to resolve the ip address of the controller using pre-configred host names).

So this means that Option 43 should be configured in the DHCP scope and the DNS server should be able to resolve the preconfigured name to the IP address of the controller.

You can find here more information how to configure an AP template on the controller.

http://h20565.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?sp4ts.oid=4177387&docId=emr_na-c04406853&docLocale=en_US

I am an HPE employee

Accept or Kudo

Vesen
Occasional Advisor

HI,

I have connected the AP on the same subnet that my AC,  and my DHCP server hasn't gave an IP to the AP (I have a pool for this subnet).  Is he really requesting  ?

Vesen
Occasional Advisor

Yes ! I can finally configure it through console port, when I have connected the AP on the same subnet that my AC, he probably obtained the firmware and now the LED is blue and not green or red. 

Thanks a lot ! You saved my life ;-)

here's a link for WX5002 firmwares : https://h10145.www1.hp.com/Downloads/SoftwareReleases.aspx?ProductNumber=JD447B&lang=en&cc=us&prodSeriesId=4177387