5826 Online
108781 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: V-M200 Access Points Require Daily Power Cycle

support_master
Occasional Visitor

Hi,

We've got about 12 HP V-M200 APs in our furniture,  the problem is that they require almost daily power cycles to continue functioning. They function correctly for a day or two, and then suddenly stop forwarding traffic. The SSID is still visible, and clients maintain their associations, but all network resources are inaccessible.

Some of these access points are being powered by POE and others are not. The same problem exists regardless. Also, they all have different SSID's and all APs within the same building are operating on different channels. They obtain IP's through DHCP reservations tied to their wireless MAC addresses. 

The current firmware is 5.4.1.0-01-9867  which came preinstalled. I am unable to find a new version.

There is a new version of firmware for this problem?

My V-M200 devices came with 5.4.1.0-01-9503 installed.  I have a feeling HP doesn't care to support these anymore.

genistas
Occasional Advisor

I can't imagine it would be that difficult to recreate these issues. We initially purchased 25 of these units and have been gradually deploying them in different buildings, in several different scenarios, and they continue to give us trouble. I did see a slight improvement by mapping out the buildings and assigning channels  1, 6, & 11 based on distances between APs, but they are still far from reliable. I've even removed a couple of access points that COULD have been causing conflicts, but most of them are still requiring frequent restarts. I now have 1 month to get these functioning correctly or we will have to switch to a different brand of access points. Our old netgear equipment may not have had the best performance, but they were at least reliable.

genistas
Occasional Advisor

I too have opened a case:

case # 4637864127

HP support ID: PSID-143107

Thank you.

sm123
Occasional Visitor

Same problem for us, here is my ticket # : 4637949698

Hope that I will have support or these will be our last HP product in our company !!!

sm123
Occasional Visitor

bahamot
Occasional Advisor

sigh ... experience the same thing ... 

anyone get the link to download the newest built for WW one?

kanapana
Visitor

I got a response from HP (Finland). They told me that they aknowledge that the problem exists, but they are NOT going to release a new firmware for the device (since its end-of-life?) and they are going to concentrate on the controller based WLAN products.

It's a pity that they ship with seriously faulty firmware and do not fix it during the lifecycle of the device. Well, at least I we have a nice-looking paper weight now. That's it for Procurve lifetime warranty...

tschaps
Valued Contributor

The only EOL statement which mentions the V-M200 is for an older product that EOL'd last year, mentioning the V-M200 as its replacement. 

Nonetheless, having just deployed a fully HP infrastructure with controller-based AP's which has so many problems with hardware, software, support, and licensing, I'd avoid anything HP wireless. I have 15 year old Procurve switches which still work great and brand new high-end HP Wireless equipment which doesn't work well or at all.

Today's HP ain't what she used to be. 

MrN2itiv

I have quite a few of these in the field, and have started experiencing some of the same issues.   Some units are fine for days at a time.  Others require almost daily reboots.  Some have graduated to the point of not even surviving an entire day without dying - these are on the RMA table.  It's surprising these units are so problematic - you'd think HP would want a device bearing the Procurve name to actually be reliable...