1754020 Members
6899 Online
108811 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: V-M200 general advice

Mattias Andolfsson

V-M200 general advice

Hello!

I'm thinking of buying the HP V-M200 as an AP.

I just wondering, if I'm using it primarily for 802.11n devices, what happens if I occasionally tries to connect with a 802.11g device? Will this downgrade all my other devices to 802.11g?

Is it possible to share both 802.11n and 802.11g at the same time?

/Best regards, Mattias

6 REPLIES 6
tschaps
Valued Contributor

That's a common misunderstanding-- in the 'old' days, having 'b' devices merely present forced 'g' networks to slow down to be compatible, but 'n' and 'g' are much more compatible. When a 'g' device is connected but not actively transmitting data, the 'n' device is virtually unaffected. When the 'g' device does transmit, it sends at the slower 'g' rate, but properly shares the airspace, so when the 'n' devices do transmit, they are at the their full speed. In that respect, having an additional 'g' device isn't all that different from having an additional 'n' device. If you have a couple of each, you'll hardly notice a difference. With more devices and/or heavy data transfer, you might start noticing a difference. 

Please note: this is only when you're using the 2.4 Ghz radio -- the V-M200 is "dual band," but not at the same time. If you set it up as a 5 Ghz AP, only 5 Ghz-capable devices can connect, and then only at 'n' (and often 'a') speeds. 

bahamot
Occasional Advisor

as for current firmware/situation better to avoid this product.
- cant handle high traffic load
- need to reboot on daily based
- no new firmware on the support page
tschaps
Valued Contributor

I sadly agree.

gglater
Regular Advisor

There is now.  Version 5.4.1.1 is posted.

bahamot
Occasional Advisor

Yeah there's now new firmware but doesn't fix anything

gglater
Regular Advisor

It fixes quite a lot.

If you are having a problem, please let me know and we can work toward a resolution.

--glen