1752780 Members
6072 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

Will this work?

davehedgehog
Advisor

Will this work?

I need to setup a new WLAN with multiple AP's. There will be 2 SSID's / VLANs. One will be for guest access to the internet (using WPA2 and password) and the other will be for restricted access to the corporate LAN controlled by dot1x/radius.

I am looking at the E-MSM710 and multiple E-MSM430's. Will these all play nicely together to achieve what I am aiming for? They will be connected to a HP E3500 switch.

Also one other question... what is the difference between an access controller and mobility controller?

Thanks in advance for your help, i've setup similar installations using cisco kit before but HP is all new to me :-)

8 REPLIES 8
Fredrik Lönnman
Honored Contributor

Re: Will this work?

Absolutely, that setup will work just fine. The difference between the access- and mobility controller is that with the mobility license you get controller teaming capabilities, opportunistic key caching and l3 roaming.

The upgrade from access to mobility is done by license, so you can buy an access controller and later upgrade it with mobility license.

---
CCIE Service Provider
MASE Network Infrastructure [2011]
H3CSE
CCNP R&S

Ulrich Saur
Advisor

Just one remark:

The MSM710 is not Teaming/Clustering capable even with the Premium license. MSM760 and MSM765zl are teaming-capable with Premium license...

Regards,
Uli
davehedgehog
Advisor

Thanks for your replies. I think I understand.

From what you have said I understand that this setup will be sufficient as long as I only require 1 controller on the site. As it doesn't support opportunistic key caching, and it is intended to use this network for voip traffic, I can see that there could be a performance benefit by upgrading to the mobility license (even though I don't need controller teaming or L3 roaming)

Ulrich Saur
Advisor

It's also possible to configure a separate VLAN/VSC/SSID for voice that is using WPA2-PSK so you do not need opportunistic key caching - it is only needed for dynamic authentication...
Regards,
Uli
davehedgehog
Advisor

I have to make this work with 1 subnet, and we will be using dot1x for all handheld devices so looks like it is worth the extra money.

Thanks for your help guys, i'm sure i'll be back with more questions soon ;-)

Dr-Q
Occasional Advisor

Does the same configuration work without the MSM7xx controller? For the below scenario:

2 DHCP (172.x.x.x & 192.x.x.x) -> HP 2510-24G switch (tagged vlan 100 & 200 on port 24) -> 1 unit of MSM430 (SSID: Employee (Vlan 100) & SSID: Guest (Vlan 200)).

Fredrik Lönnman
Honored Contributor

I have never configured a standalone MSM, but I cant see why that whouldnt work. Nothing special is done in the controller really.

---
CCIE Service Provider
MASE Network Infrastructure [2011]
H3CSE
CCNP R&S

Dr-Q
Occasional Advisor

It's work. I have tried it out by setting the egress Vlan to their corresponding vlan.