108789 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Wireless clients cannot connect to wired server in same VSC

SOLVED
Go to solution
jimmygrec
Occasional Advisor

Wireless clients cannot connect to wired server in same VSC

I need to get the wireless devices on an Access controlled VSC communicating with a wired device in the same VSC/subnet. This is a training lab with wireless clients, the VSC has been and working for a year but I now need to add a network server into the same subnet (the application is not routable). I have the VLAN up and working on the LAN side, and I have the VLAN mapped to the VSC. The wired server is getting DHCP from the correct VSC on the MSM controller. Egress traffic to the internet out the MSM NATed WAN is working perfectly, but the wired and wireless devices cannot communicate to each other.

Any suggestions or even alternate ways to accomplish this would be appreciated,

Thanks,

4 REPLIES 4
Ian Vaughan
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hello,

If you are struggling to get the server into the virtual network segment where the clients live you could:

1. Trunk (like a dot1q trunk not a Procurve trk) the tagged VLAN out of the LAN port of the Controller and do some further testing / packet tracing.
  2. Break the clients out of the VSC locally by egressing them onto a tagged VLAN out of the back of each AP.
  3. Buy a MSM AP with wired Eth ports on it and bind the port into the controlled VSC - thinking about it -  I don't think these are 1GbE so may be of limited use with a server unless it is a very light load.

I hope that gives you a few ideas - I don't like seeing posts with no replies.

Let us know how you get on.

thanks

Ian

Hope that helps - please click "Thumbs up" for Kudos if it does
## ---------------------------------------------------------------------------##
Which is the only cheese that is made backwards?
Edam!
Tweets: @2techie4me
CraigS1971
Valued Contributor

Hi Jimmy,

When you say wired and wireless devices do not communicate, do you mean all wireless and wired devices or just the two categories of devices ie wired sees wired and wireless sees wireless?

If all devices, try to set the VSC to allow traffic between clients. I think it is set to no by default.

Under VCS -> Virtual AP -> Allow traffic between = yes

Perhaps that will do the trick.

Cheers,

Craig.

jimmygrec
Occasional Advisor

Thanks Craig for the suggestion. 

I thought that that would do the trick but it only works for wireless clients.  Wireless clients connect to other wireless clients but cannot connect to wired VSC members.

Thanks,

jimmygrec
Occasional Advisor

Thanks Ian,

I think your 2nd suggestion may be the only option,  I'm thinking that that should kind of work but It will take additional equipment (I was hoping to get everything working internally to the MSM controller).  I will have disable access control on the VSC; which I think means that I will have to setup external DHCP, DNS, and a Firewall Gateway and VLAN the AP connected switch ports to keep the VSC/SSID off the production LAN.  I was hoping that there would be an easier way;  I would not have thought that connecting a wired server to a wireless access controlled VSC would be an unusual configuration.

Thanks again,