M and MSM Series
1752795 Members
5966 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

directional antenna options for E-MSM466?

SOLVED
Go to solution
tschaps
Valued Contributor

directional antenna options for E-MSM466?

It appears the product line of antennas for the current generation of APs does not include a dual-band directional antenna for the MSM466. You have to buy two three-element antennas for each AP. These are to cover some large spaces which don't need dense coverage in a school (mainly gymnasiums). Aside from the additional cost, the additional mounting is going to be a pain. Are there any third party alternatives? Or a good reason why a directional simultaneous dual-band antenna to fit HP's current top AP is not feasible? 

Thanks

5 REPLIES 5
DougB-CCCP
Frequent Advisor

Re: directional antenna options for E-MSM466?

As far as I've seen from either HP or the competition, there is no 'all in one' antenna solution that will do dual-band N in a directional formfactor.

In my experience I'd put a couple MSM430's or MSM460's in the gym and cover them with a plexiglass cover (think clock cover), placed out of the way whereas they are not overly easy to damage.
----------------
HP ASE (Mobility), Infrastructure Engineer
tschaps
Valued Contributor

thanks -- our HP partner spec'd MSM466 for the gyms, cafeteria, and theater, but I'd be fine with 430's or 460's if they can be mounted vertically. My understanding is that the models with internal antennas need to be mounted horizontally. Other than the cafeteria, horizontal mounting is not possible for us. If you have an opinion on that, I'd be glad to hear it.

And I definitely have been looking for protective covers, but two antennas and radio will be harder to cover than one antenna. I also am locating them up and away from flying balls as much as possible.

DougB-CCCP
Frequent Advisor
Solution

According to the quick start guide at http://bizsupport2.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c02697097/c02697097.pdf on page 3, wall mounting of the access point is supported as long as you follow the 'up' arrow designation on the mounting bracket.

In a big open space such as a gymnasium, I haven't seen any issues with a wall mount orientation. The signal travels almost as far as if it were mounted horizontally.
----------------
HP ASE (Mobility), Infrastructure Engineer
tschaps
Valued Contributor

Our networking consultants spec'd a dual-band directional MIMO from a company named "Terrawave Solutions," and I am testing a few right now: http://www.terra-wave.com/shop/80211n-245-ghz-67-dbi-mimo-patch-antenna-with-rpsma-plug-connector-p-922.html

It's an affordable antenna but an enormous beast (17.5" wide!). Not sure where I am going to find a good cover to protect them in the gymnasiums, but there's an awful lot of plastic in these things.

Thanks for your help.  T

tschaps
Valued Contributor

Just to update, the antennas seem to be working well in the school, but today is the first day back from Christmas break, so now the real world testing begins. If anyone has an interest in this, I'll report further.