1752272 Members
5432 Online
108786 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: msm765zl installation

Sam Bj├╢rk
Occasional Advisor

msm765zl installation

We have recently bought a msm765zl controller and im now trying to configure it.

Since i had configured an wireless service zl (J9051A) before i didnt think this one would be much different, so i thought...

I dont seem to be able to find any usable documentation or advanced manuals, would be very grateful if someone could help me with this.

What im looking for is, how to use a radius server to distribute multiple VLANs with the help of Mac authentication..

Regards
Sam

P.S. This thread has been moved from Communications, Wireless (Legacy ITRC forum) to MSM Series. -HP Forum Moderator

8 REPLIES 8
sgkiser
Occasional Advisor

Management and Configuration Guide for the HP ProCurve MSM7xx Controllers: Version 5.3.1
&

CLI Reference Guide for the HP ProCurve MSM7xx Controllers: Version 5.3.1

can be found here:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&taskId=115&prodSeriesId=3963978&prodTypeId=12883&objectID=c01900043
Sam Bj├╢rk
Occasional Advisor

Thank you, i found that one earlier today.

I have a connection with my radius server now, it sends out a respons that the machine should have vlan 25.

But the machine doesnt get vlan 25, there must be something with the vlan configuration im missing.

i remember the older service module had to have dynamic vlans activated, is it like that here too perhaps?

If so where do i activate dynamic vlans here?

Regards
Sam
Sam Bj├╢rk
Occasional Advisor

Now im one step closer,

I have connection to my radius and it sends the vlan to the 765zl controller and the machine gets correct vlan through NAT on that interface.

But what im after are that the machine will get the vlan directly and not have to connect to the controller before getting out on that vlan..

Any suggestions anyone?

Regards
Sam
Shadow13
Respected Contributor

mmm I think in this case you should make the VSC as authentication only and disable access control option, then you have to tag the port connected to the AP on the VLAN you are assigning dynamically.

Please check the implementation guide which is available at my.procurve.com
it's better than the management and configuration guide.
Sam Bj├╢rk
Occasional Advisor

Thank you, there was alot of information in the implementation guide.

But unfortunately there wasnt much information about mac-authenticating machines.

However when i unchecked the access control option and tagged the correct vlan to the AP the machine still doenst get places in that vlan, it still gets an ip address on the WLAN.

Even if i uncheck the authentication option and let the AP do the authentication to the radius server its the same result...

Somewhere i need to activate Dynamic assignment of vlans... but how and where?
Shadow13
Respected Contributor

What i mentioned is the correct way, you can even check in the Management and configuration guide page 87

http://cdn.procurve.com/training/Manuals/r531/MSM7xx-MCG-May09-5992-5929.pdf

Regards.
Sam Bj├╢rk
Occasional Advisor

Yes i agree thats a way to go but that only moves my problem from the controller to the ap.

I do not want the computer on the WLAN and the AP to direct the traffic onto the correct vlan.

I want the computer to the get the correct vlan directly....

Sam Bj├╢rk
Occasional Advisor

you where correct, it works when i tagged the vlans to the AP.

BUT only after i upgraded the firmware to 5.4, so now it seems to to be up and running.

I only need to figure out how to configure the radius authentication request to be sent in colon instead of the entire mac in one string.

/Sam