5047 Online
108795 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: radio configuration

Cfabio
Frequent Advisor

radio configuration

Hi

I have an MSM730 wireless controller and twenty APs (some MSM-310 with one radio and others MSM-320 with two radio).

I'm going to decide about the configuration of channel scanning. I'm thinking to select the option one time day with a fixed hour (e.g. 01hh 00mm) for all the APs. Is this the right choice? Or if the APs scanning the frequency all at the same time I obtain a conflict and a wrong survey?

Moreover I would want to know the better solution for the selection of the wireless mode in MSM320 APs. I know that the mixed mode (802.11b/g) tend to slow down the WLAN. So is better to select:
radio1->802.11g radio2->802.11b or
radio1->802.11g radio2->802.11b/g?

Thanks in advance
Regards

P.S. This thread has been moved from Communications, Wireless (Legacy ITRC forum) to MSM Series. -HP Forum Moderator

1 REPLY 1
Fred!
Trusted Contributor

Re: radio configuration

Hello,

I think that setting them all at a particular time should work. But you can try to validate it by looking at the neigborood map resulting from the algorithm and try to see if indeed neighboring APs have chosen different channels. On a smaller network like your it should be fairly feasible to verify the efficiency of the system. I would tend to believe that even if you set all the scannings at the same time, the process of calculating the right channel allocation takes time and needs to converge over a period of time. I can't imagine the system to take only one snapshot of the environment and base all decisions over that snapshot. I think it takes several snapshots and actually if I remember correctly you see something in the system log when you are at the debug level.

For the wireless mode: typically a dual radio product is used to accomodate 2.4GHz (b/g) and 5GHz (a) on separate radios. There is nothing that prevents you to operate both radios on 2.4GHz or both on 5GHz however, you must know that in that case, you will be exposed to greater interferences because one radio will "hear and see" the traffic from the other one no matter what (they are playing in the same band).

However, the option of separating the b stations from the g stations on separate radios have some advantages. Even though you will not get maximum performances because of the interferences mentioned above, technically the g stations would connect at potentially higher rates. Which means that if a b stations connects it won't drag all the g stations down too much because it will be taken care of by a separate radio. So in you configuration and in my opinion, having radio1 on g and radio2 on b is definitely a better option.

If you do the other option you were suggesting, you will potentially have g stations connecting to the second radio, and b stations impacting more the performance of these g stations on the second radio. And as you can't predict on which radio the g stations will connect, it does not seem like a good choice to me.