1753444 Members
4668 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: stuck beacon; resetting error

tschaps
Valued Contributor

stuck beacon; resetting error

I am seeing these errors when clients on an MDM430 AP are having connectivity issues:

Apr 17 08:32:02 warning kernel CN17abcdef  ath_bstuck_tasklet: stuck beacon; resetting (bmiss count 36)

Apr 17 08:15:05 warning kernel CN17abcdef  ath_bstuck_tasklet: stuck beacon; resetting (bmiss count 27)

Apr 17 08:09:31 warning kernel CN17abcdef  ath_bstuck_tasklet: stuck beacon; resetting (bmiss count 36)

Apr 17 08:00:52 warning kernel CN17abcdef  ath_bstuck_tasklet: stuck beacon; resetting (bmiss count 36)

Apr 17 08:00:07 warning kernel CN17abcdef  ath_bstuck_tasklet: stuck beacon; resetting (bmiss count 36)

Apr 17 07:53:25 warning kernel CN17abcdef  ath_bstuck_tasklet: stuck beacon; resetting (bmiss count 36)

I've not found any information on what it means. I will open a support case eventually, anyone have any info or wonder the same thing?

9 REPLIES 9
JesseR
Regular Advisor

Are you seeing this on multiple APs or just one?  Hard to remember exactly, but I thought I had similiar issues with an MSM422 about 4-5 months ago.  Turned out rebooting the AP fixes it, but, then it eventually goes bad again (perhaps sometime late at night when the Auto Channel configuration Interval kicked in).  We eventually had to replace the AP itself.  Take this with a grain of salt because my memory is a bit fuzzy going back that far..

Jesse R
Source One Technology, Inc.
HP Partner

MSM 5.7.x deployment guide:

gglater
Regular Advisor

What version software are you running on the controller/AP?

Did you open a case?  what is the case number?

--glen

gglater
Regular Advisor

Did you open a case with support? What is the case number?
gglater
Regular Advisor

Did you open a case? what is the case number?

--glen
gglater
Regular Advisor

The "stuck beacon" log message is benign and can be ignored.  It is not indicative of a problem.

--glen

tschaps
Valued Contributor

Running 5.7.0.2-01-10750 on teamed MSM765zl and 60 MSM430 and MSM466 AP's. I have a hard time believing this message is benign, as it so often is present in the logs during periods of lack of IP connectivity. I have not opened a case myself because I was working with an HP partner who had cases open on several other more severe problems on our all-HP network. I was not impressed at how much time was spent on hold, how long it took HP support agents to come back with any answers, and how many times we had to re-state the entire situation to a new agent. 

In any case, managing this network is only a small part of my job, I don't have time to waste, and this problem has been the exception, not the rule. However, I need to get it resolved sooner rather than later. 

thx

Arimo
Respected Contributor

Hi

I did a little research on this error. It could indicate interference, especially if the issue is intermittent.

You could check the environment using inSSIDer or similar tool. Please note however that this will only show you the wireless traffic around, and wireless is not the only cause of interference. It can also be caused by radar, microwave ovens, radio-controlled doors, even lighting can cause issues. This kind of interference you can only detect with a spectrum analyzer.

HTH,

Arimo
HPE Networking Engineer
cenk sasmaztin
Honored Contributor

Do you have any performans issue
Slow file download or uploat long ping time. etc
cenk

ljorg
Occasional Advisor

We got the same errors on a number of E-MSM430 APs while other APs work fine (same models). I tried to find out what was common for the affected APs, and I think it boiled down to this:

They were in crowded 2.4GHz areas

They used channel 1 on 2.4GHz

I disabled channel 1 on the affected APs and since then the error has completely gone away. I don't know if this is a software issue or not; the error was present both under 5.7.0.2 and 5.7.0.3