1753599 Members
6457 Online
108796 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: 1720 - Hard drive detects imminent failure

David Mogilnicki

1720 - Hard drive detects imminent failure

Recently, I have been getting the message "1720 - Hard drive
detects imminent failure" and a screen with the options "Boot" and "Computer Setup". This appears everytime I start the computer. Does anyone know what this
means and what I can do? I start the computer fine after that, I just choose "Boot".
3 REPLIES 3
CA992591

1720 is a smart drive indication foreseeing the drive failing (could be many things such as badblocks allocation - running out) It's giving you ample time to replace the disk before it goes catastrophic. - replace it. If you have CIM, Tivoli, etc snmp it should also be seeing it there...
considering the drive is probably under warranty, call the HP help center and get it out of your system - hopefully its a part of a raid set.
David Mogilnicki

So I guess I have no choice but to buy a new hard drive. It couldn't come at the worst possibly time, considering my lack of money.

What do you mean by "raid set"?
BR618609

RAID means a hardware or software scheme for organizing your HDDs in order to assure protection in case of one HDD will fails. RAID1 (Mirror) - this suppose to have minimum 2 HDD and both HDD's will have the same information "mirrored" betweens. If one fails, the information can be used from the mirrored disk till the broken HDD will be replaced by a good one. There is some other RAID schemes available: 0 (stripping which in fact it doesn't offer protection but only a high speed for writing/reading data to/from disks), 10(1+0), 3 (a minimum of 3 HDDs is required), 30 (3+0), 5, 50(5+0), 5DP (double parity, 5ADG (advanced data guardian).

For hardware RAID it is necessary to have one RAID controller installed on server (http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/servers/proliantstorage/arraycontrollers/index.html)
For software RAID scheme please consult your OS support for that (as far as I know Windows and Linux are supporting RAID 1 for HDDs that contain the OS. Certainly they support also other RAID schemes but I am not sure that this is standard included on the base OS like feature)

Please give point to Charles. If you have question regarding the points meaning and/or role, please visit http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/helptips.do?#28 and section ├в How many points should I assign to replies?├в

Regar