1753854 Members
7210 Online
108808 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: 2012FC SAN question

SOLVED
Go to solution

2012FC SAN question

I have a 2012FC SAN. It is connected in a loop to two MDS 9124 switches. switch A and B

SAN to switch
A7 and B7
B8 and A8

Servers are
A and B 5
A and B 6

Each server has two FC2142SR controllers
BIOS enabled on both

Loop configuration set on controllers

SAN has 6 volumes all are all host rw.

I can't get the FC2142SR to stay active on bootup. The BIOS does not load.

Any suggestions or questions?

11 REPLIES 11
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Michael,
you should better use Fabric protocol, not FC_AL (Fibre Channel Arbitrated Loop). In some setups the term FDA (Fabric Direct Attach) or point-to-point(-topology) is used.

This is my first SAN configuration. Can you explain why to use Fabric protocol or FC_AL? Would this be on both the SAN and both MDS-9124 switches?
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor
Solution

FC_AL works a bit like a token ring (heavily simplified). Depending on the profile (public vs. private), you might need additional switch configuration to make it work - or you even need different switches.

Fabric protocol avoids this and is compatible with the MSA2012fc, the FC2142SR Fibr Channel adapter and the MDS switches.

Did you install the HP-branded package for the FC2142SR? It installs the device driver and it makes sure that all registry settings are correct.

You can get it here:
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DriverDownload.jsp?prodNameId=1143949тМй=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=12169&prodSeriesId=1809835&taskId=135

And you might want to pick up the "Emulex HBAnyware Fibre Channel Remote Management application", too. It allows adapter management when the operating system is running.

> I can't get the FC2142SR to stay active on bootup.
> The BIOS does not load.

Are you trying Boot from SAN? The BIOS is resident on the card, but is not needed when you boot from local storage.

I went back and reread the manual. You have been a huge help. I will post back with the results on Monday.

The servers will be diskless. I want to boot from the FC2142SR to the SAN volume 64OS LUN 0.

I switched the SAN to point to point. I can't see the either FC2142SR on the SAN manage host list. I configured one of two for boot up in BIOS. When I boot Smart Start 8.0, I get 0 MB on the FC2142SR I am trying to load from.

I can't find any documentation to explain how the FC2142SR controller attaches to the 64OS volume @ LUN 0.

Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

I don't have an MSA2000fc near me right now, but if I remember correctly, it presents a controller device at LUN address 0 from which you cannot boot. These devices do not provide any capacity as they are meant for LUN lookup and in-band management. Try LUN address 1, for example.

I appreciate all your help. Thank you.

Should I see the servers on the volume mapping page of the 2012FC?

I just recreated on volume 64OS, 40960MB, LUN 1 as a test.
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

You should see entries in:
Select Manage > Volume Management > Volume Mapping > Manage Host List

According to the documentation, you should assign a 'nickname' so that the host does not get 'forgotten'.

And then you can grant the host access to the volume:
Select Manage > Volume Management > Volume Mapping > Map Hosts To Volume

Since switching to point to point from loop on SAN, the two MDS 9124 have orange lights on each port. I tried turning off both SAN and switches to reset them. The 2012FC has

switch port and port #
A7 is switch A port 7

A7 and B7 on controller A
B8 and A8 on controller B

This is a loop configuration. Can I still use point to point with this configuration?