New Discussion юеВ

Re: 2TB 6G SAS 7.2K LFF vs 2TB 3G SATA 7.2K

MGaccess
Frequent Advisor

2TB 6G SAS 7.2K LFF vs 2TB 3G SATA 7.2K

Talking about the MDL drives below (1 year warranty):

2TB 6G SAS 7.2K LFF (3.5 inch) DP MDL AW555A
2TB 3G SATA 7.2K LFF (3.5-inch) DP AW556A

I'm looking to populate the P2000 G3. The SAS drives are a little cheaper than the SATA drives in a bundle of six. Is there any reason why anyone would purchase the SATA drives over the SAS drives? Do the SAS drive offer any benefit other than 6G? Thank you.

P.S. This thread has been moevd from disk to Storage Area Networks (SAN) (Small and Medium Business). - Hp forum moderator

4 REPLIES 4

I have the following information about this,
SATA drives may be connected to SAS backplanes, but SAS drives may not be connected to SATA backplanes.

SAS interface is fully compatible with SATA interfaces, SATA drives can be used directly in the SAS environment, from the point of interface standard, SATA is a sub-standard SAS, the SAS controller can control SATA hard drive, but the SAS drives can not be used directly in the SATA environment, because the SATA controller can not control SAS drives.

Hope this may help you.

I work for HPE
Accept or Kudo
MGaccess
Frequent Advisor

Thank you for the response. I guess I just don't see a reason why anyone would purchase the SATA midline drive over the SAS midline unless.... oh, if they had a "SATA only" shelf. I see your point.
MGaccess
Frequent Advisor

Sorry, didn't realize what 2 pts meant - should have submitted more. Thanks.

Have you received any other useful info about this.....please let us know as well if you got.

I work for HPE
Accept or Kudo