MSA Storage
1752790 Members
6385 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

4/8 Fabric Switch to MSA Fabric Switch 6 connection

Brian L. Chaffins

4/8 Fabric Switch to MSA Fabric Switch 6 connection

I have a 4/8 BASIC SAN Switch (A7984A) running 6.1.0d and will be needing to connect it to my MSA1000 that has 2 internal MSA Fabric Switch 6 cards.

My question is: Can I connect my 4/8 BASIC switch to the internal switch if all I need is to use it as a simple connection, or will that require the option license to the 4/8?

I guess my other option is to swap out the Fabric Switch 6 cards for single port adapters.

Thanks
Brian Chaffins
2 REPLIES 2
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Re: 4/8 Fabric Switch to MSA Fabric Switch 6 connection

The MSA Fabric Switch 6 is an OEMed version from a company called Gadzoox which no longer exists. As far as I can tell, it was never possible to link it to another switch.

I've checked a quickspec for the MSA1000 (from August 2005) and it says the ordernumber for the FC I/O module is 218960-B21.

The A7984A does not have a Fabric license - you need to order T4261A. Before doing that, I would check with "licenseShow" - maybe a license was ordered and installed.
In that case you can send 50% of the saved money to me and keep the other 50% except if you are a bank, then it's 52% : 52% ;-)
Brian L. Chaffins

Re: 4/8 Fabric Switch to MSA Fabric Switch 6 connection

Thank you for your reply. So its looking like a FC I/O adapter is my best bet. I do not have the license. To bad got you I guess. ;-)

Thanks again