1748233 Members
3389 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

AIX in a SAN Backup

CA705451

AIX in a SAN Backup

Hello:

I have an RS6000 server with AIX 5.3 with a HBA IBM 5716 with the last firmware version applied, this HBA is connected to a switch Brocade 2/16 with 0S v.3.2. In the port 0 of the Brocade are connected, by fiber channel, 4 drives LTO1 of one ESL9595 library. The problem is that the AIX doesn't detect the drives, even though there is link between the switch and the HBA. I don't know the firmware version of the library.
Some one can help me to understand what's going on?

Thanks.
5 REPLIES 5
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

Re: AIX in a SAN Backup

Ernesto:

There could be several things at play here.

First, check your zoning on the SAN Switch. Using the CLI or Web GUI to manage the SAN Switch, check to see that the 2 ports or WWID's are included in any zone's that might be configured. If not, you should probably make a new zone and include those 2 ports or WWID's of the 2 devices. We can help with more detail on zoning if necessary.

Second, your libraries NSR might not be configured to automaticall map devices to new hosts. Again, you would need to get to the CLI or Web GUI of the Network Storage Router in your library to check these settings.

Thirdly, you could possibly have an incompatible HBA/Library combination. Are you sure your HBA is supported when attaching to the 9595?

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
CA705451

I Steven:

Thanks for your information, here??s my comments:

1. I include a document with the configuration of the switch Brocade, the AIX server is connected to the port 12. You can see that the ports 0 and 12 are in the same zone: aix_tape.
2. According with HP, the engineers left enable the library to automatically map devices to new hosts.
3. I checked the document "HP StorageWorks Enterprise Backup Solution (EBS) Hardware/Software Compatibility Matrix" August 2005, and I found that the HBA 5716 is fully compliant with the library and the switch.

Again, thanks for your help and I'll waiting your comments.
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

It looks like you have everyting set up properly.

I am not familiar with AIX at all so I am not sure if I can help you any further, at least not with OS specific troubleshooting.

Looking at your switch config, I see a G-Port on port 15. What is connected to port 15?

Is there any way you can post some screenshots from the nsr? Particularily, the fibre port 0 screen, one of the host pages(one that is working) and the aix system host page?

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
Florian Heigl (new acc)
Honored Contributor

do You get any error messages on running cfgmgr?

There is a specific fileset required for FC tape support, which won't be installed during adapter install.

also, You could use diag to send low-level scsi queries to the tape device, I've had at least one occasion where AIX didn't show a device, but diag revealed it was there.
yesterday I stood at the edge. Today I'm one step ahead.
CA705451

Steven:

I send you a document with the output of the showlogport command in port 0 (drives), port 8 (HP-UX server) and port 12 (AIX server), I hope that can be usefull. In the port 15 there is another AIX server, but the HBA is not configured at the moment.

Florian:

After the cfgmgr doesn't appear any error message. Could you bring me more information about the fileset for FC Tape and the diag?, because I'm not familiar with AIX, and this server is manage by another area.

Thanks a lot for both!!