MSA Storage
1751854 Members
5684 Online
108782 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Access same LUN on 2 servers (MSA1000)

tan.tran
Occasional Contributor

Access same LUN on 2 servers (MSA1000)

Hi,
I have 2 nodes running on Win2K, both connected to MSA1000. Here is what i've done so far:
1. Create a logical drive in MSA with RAID6
2. Using disk manager to create basic volume on 1 node (assign as D drive for example)
2. Repeat the same step as above for the other node.
3. Now, how do i create redundant paths to LUN. E.g. 1 node down, i still be able to access same data using the other node.
Thanks
4 REPLIES 4
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Concurrent access to a single NTFS volume is NOT possible with plain Windows - using clusters or not.

You do need additional third-party software like PolyServer or Veritas cluster (or whatever it is called today).
tan.tran
Occasional Contributor

Hi Uwe,
Another question, if 2 nodes on cluster sharing same LUN (assume Active/Active mode), is there any conflict?
diavosh
Occasional Contributor

Isn't this what SSP is for?

Create Logical drive in ACU, enable SSP and select an hba from each side, give them friendly names, tick to access the logical drive.
Go to 2nd server, scan for disks, finish.

Its my first MSA, but this got me up to 2 servers sharing one logical volume, am I going to have problems?

This doesn't address the redundant path question (multipath support) but the answer above suggested you can't have shared storage - I thought that was the main reason for having a SAN...
Brian Hunemuller

Two Windows servers accessing the same LUN will corrupt that volume, as both servers try to write their signature to the disk. There are cluster applications like those mentioned previously (and Oracle RAC) that have a built-in queuing utility.