1748156 Members
4292 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Adding New Hard Disk to MSA 2040

optimusprime90
Visitor

Adding New Hard Disk to MSA 2040

Hello Dears, I have MSA 2040 with 6 Disks configured in R5, i need to add more hard disks to increase the storage and map it to our cluster servers. I am totally new for this task and afraid to lose exisiting data. Can you please help me out. I have 3x1.2TB hard disk which i want to add 

5 REPLIES 5

@optimusprime90 

There are couple of things that you need to provide in order to help you further,

>> Are you using this MSA as Virtual Array or Linear array?
>> You have 6 drives of what type and capacity ? SAS or SSD or MDL SAS or what?
>> You have created Vdisk or Virtual Disk Group(VDG) with 6 drives?
>> How many volumes you have created ?
>> Are these volumes taken space from Pool or Vdisk directly?
>> Do you have existing MSA volumes already presented to your cluster server environment?
>> You want to increase Vdisk space or Pool space?
>> You want to create new volumes or want to increase size of existing volume?
>> New 3 X 1.2TB drives are of what type? SAS or SSD or MDL SAS or what?

Hope this helps!
Regards
Subhajit

I am an HPE employee

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!

*********************************************************************************

I work for HPE
Accept or Kudo
optimusprime90
Visitor

>> Are you using this MSA as Virtual Array or Linear array? VIRTUAL
>> You have 6 drives of what type and capacity ? SAS or SSD or MDL SAS or what? SAS EACH 900GB
>> You have created Vdisk or Virtual Disk Group(VDG) with 6 drives? IF I GOTO POOLS, IT SHOWS ME POOL-A WITH SIZE 4494.1GB, AND WHEN I CLICK ON POOL-A, BELOW IT SHOWS GROUP "dgA01"
>> How many volumes you have created ? 03, but two are being shown in Cluster Servers
>> Are these volumes taken space from Pool or Vdisk directly? IT WAS NOT CREATED BY ME, HOWEVER IN THE VOLUME TABLE IT SHOWS CLASS-->VIRTUAL AND POOL-->A
>> Do you have existing MSA volumes already presented to your cluster server environment? YES
>> You want to increase Vdisk space or Pool space? NO MATTER HOW BUT I WANT TO INCREASE AVAIALBLE STORAGE IN OUR CLUSTER SERVERS TO CREATE NEW VMs
>> You want to create new volumes or want to increase size of existing volume? NO MATTER HOW BUT I WANT TO INCREASE AVAIALBLE STORAGE IN OUR CLUSTER SERVERS TO CREATE NEW VMs
>> New 3 X 1.2TB drives are of what type? SAS or SSD or MDL SAS or what? SAS

@optimusprime90 

In Virtual Disk Group(VDG) you can't increase size of existing VDG rather you need to create new VDG and add to the existing Pool if you want to increase same Pool Size. Also important to always you should try creating VDG with same no of drives, same RAID for same type drives. You should also follow the rule of 2 as well.

As your requirement not to increase space of existing Pool then you can create new VDG with 3 X 1.2TB SAS drives associated with Pool B, Then you can create new volume and present to Cluster Servers as Shared storage LUN. If this is ESX then it will be new datastore. Then you can create VMs out of it.

You can also refer below best practices whitepaper to get more knowledge and details,

https://psnow.ext.hpe.com/doc/4aa4-6892enw?jumpid=in_lit-psnow-red

Hope this helps!
Regards
Subhajit

I am an HPE employee

*********************************************************************************

I work for HPE
Accept or Kudo
optimusprime90
Visitor

Hello Dear,
I created new DG and New Pool with new 3 Hard Disks and configured them in Raid5, also created new virtual volume in that and mapped it to the server, but from SAN if i go to DG it showed "Current Status INIT", which i gues was initialization for raid5, after that now its showing VRSC, is it normal ?

@optimusprime90 

Yes VRSC is normal only. IT means Vdisk Scrub is going on. Please refer SMU guide page no 85 to know all disk-group state details,

https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docId=c04220794

This Analyzes specified disk groups to find and fix disk errors.

For linear storage, this command acts on disks in a disk group but not dedicated spares or leftover disks. This command will fix parity mismatches for RAID 3, 5, 6, and 50; find mirror mismatches for RAID 1 and 10; and fix media errors for all RAID levels.
For virtual storage, this command acts on disks in a disk group but not leftover disks. This command will fix parity mismatches for RAID 5 and 6, and find mirror mismatches for RAID 1 and 10.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Subhajit

I am an HPE employee

I work for HPE
Accept or Kudo