New Discussion

Re: Alert on P2040

SOLVED
Go to solution
khuyenht
Occasional Advisor

Alert on P2040

Hi Experts,

The MSA P2040 turn on the alert light, when login to web console of MSA there is no error but some warning about  Host Link Down event ID 112 & Event ID 111 Host Link up:

1. May Event ID 112 Host link down make the Alert light on MSA P2040 turn on ?
  2. How can i turn off the alert light on MSA P2040 ?

Thank yo so much

IMG_0565[1].JPGCapture2.PNG

6 REPLIES 6
HPSDMike
HPE Pro

I don't think that warning would cause the light to be on. You probably have something else. Please log into the CLI (via Putty or something else) and issue the command "show system"

Please see what "health" information is shown there and let us know. 

I work for HPE. The comments in this post are my own and do not represent an official reply from the company. No warranty or guarantees of any kind are expressed in my reply.

Accept or Kudo

khuyenht
Occasional Advisor

Hi Mike,

Thank for your quick reponse, i currently out of office i will post the result as soon as posible.

Khuyen

khuyenht
Occasional Advisor

Hi Mike,

When i ssh to MSA 2040 and run command show system. the "orange" light change to "green" as the picture , When i unplug RJ45 cable from behide MSA P2040 the "oragne" light turn on, may this is the reason what cause "oragne" light?

I am waiting for your new instruction ! !!

This is the show system result:

HP MSA Storage MSA 2040 SAN
System Name: 
System Location: 
Version: GL220P008
#
# show system
System Information
------------------
System Name: NEW STORAGE
System Contact: 
System Location: 
System Information: FILE SERVER
Midplane Serial Number: 00C0FF2791D9
Vendor Name: HP
Product ID: MSA 2040 SAN
Product Brand: MSA Storage
SCSI Vendor ID: HP
SCSI Product ID: MSA 2040 SAN
Enclosure Count: 1
Health: OK
Health Reason:
Other MC Status: Operational
PFU Status: Idle
Supported Locales: English (English), Arabic (العربية), Portuguese (português), Spanish (español), French (français), German (Deutsch), Italian (italiano), Japanese (日本語), Korean (한국어), Dutch (Nederlands), Russian (русский), Chinese-Simplified (简体中文), Chinese-Traditional (繁體中文)

Success: Command completed successfully. (2017-10-03 07:45:50)

IMG_0572.JPG

Thank you so much !

HPSDMike
HPE Pro
Solution

Hi,

Thanks for the info. It appears as if you have found your answer then since "show system" cleared the LED for you and you can reproduce the LED by removing the cable. I would suggest running the "show system" again, see if it clears the LED for you, then leave it. If the same warning comes up again (on its own) then you'll need to troubleshoot cabling or SFP issues. 

Also, I'd recommend that you plan an upgrade to the latest firmware. You are two versions behind and P008 had some potential issues under certain configurations. You can find the latest firmware GL220P010 here.

FYI, here is the information, out of the events description guide, for the warning you originally posted on:

Warning The link for the indicated host port has unexpectedly gone down.
Recommended actions
• Look for corresponding event 111 and monitor excessive transitions indicating a host-connectivity or
switch problem. If this event occurs more than 8 times per hour, it should be investigated.
• This event is probably caused by equipment outside of the storage system, such as faulty cabling or a
faulty switch.
• If the problem is not outside of the storage system, replace the controller module that logged this event.
Info. The link for the indicated host port has gone down because the controller is starting up.
Recommended actions
• No action is required.

I work for HPE. The comments in this post are my own and do not represent an official reply from the company. No warranty or guarantees of any kind are expressed in my reply.

Accept or Kudo

khuyenht
Occasional Advisor

Hi Mike,

I changed the cable RJ45 from Managemnt Console port of P2040 to switch. and the alert light change to "green"

Thank you so much,

oshikawa

Hi @HPSDMike Mike.
Can this phenomenon be improved by inserting a loopback connector?
The equipment is MSA2050.