1752785 Members
5889 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Backup to San

Max Garcia
Occasional Contributor

Backup to San

We have just recently purchased a second MSA1000 with 1tb, a DL380 G5 with Storage Server and we currently have a HP Storageworks MSL6000 I have the SAN and my storage Server connected through fibre but the MLS6000 is off site. I am looking for some information or Best practices on how to set up a backup solution with what I currently have if someone could point in the right direction I would appreciate it?
7 REPLIES 7
Lenin Zambrano
Occasional Advisor

Re: Backup to San

Hi Max,

Your MSL6000 is offsite right? This means that your library is not connected to the SAN. If I'm not wrong (about the situation here) you can only make backups by LAN (if you have access between client servers of your backup software). There is another option, in some SAN configurations, its possible to connect off site devices using long distances connectors (supported by the switches) and finally stablish comunication between many devices including those devices located off site of the main data center. If you want you can tell me more details of your requirement and maybe I can help you more.

Regards,

Lenin.
Max Garcia
Occasional Contributor

It is not out of the question to bring the MSL6000 onsite so that I could connect it to the SAN but I am open to suggestions right now we are using veritas put I am playing with open view data protector?
Lenin Zambrano
Occasional Advisor

Of course, you can include the MSL6000 into the SAN (and i think it's the best option), connecting the drives to the switches and configuring zones between those tape drives and (recommended) dedicated server backup HBAs. Does not matter if you use Veritas or Data Protector, both backup solutions offer the capability of manage tape drives by SAN. The configuration in Data Protector is very easy and useful.

Regards

Lenin.
PD: Remember to assign some points if you consider that my answers are useful for you.
Max Garcia
Occasional Contributor

We are currently trying to back up Exchange for just disaster recovery we also backup student and staff home directories, a student share for each campus as well several SQL databases We are running just full backups I know we probably should be running a differential but I am taking over someone elses baby either way I run out of hours in the day the way I am doing it now which is just using the MLS6000 I am in no way an expert in this field so please give me as much info as possible.
Lenin Zambrano
Occasional Advisor

Well Max,

I see that you need maybe a backup assesment or maybe a little workshop about implementing backup policies. I can recommends you this:

1.- Full Backups for Exchange databases every days. retention of 15 or 30 days of this data. A full backup weekly with 6 months of retention, and a montly full backup with 1 year of retention.

2.- The user's home data, a full weekly backup every weekend, and a incremental or differential backup every day of the week. You can run the backup job every night when users are not accessing the data. The retention of this backups are generally 2 months.

You can use either MSL6000 or maybe some disks of you storage array. This is backup to disk (for critical data only).

Regards,

Lenin.
Max Garcia
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for the help I could definatley use a workshop can you recommend any sources of for information.

Thanks for the help

Max
Lenin Zambrano
Occasional Advisor

I have some docs if you want write me at lzambrano@cewgroup.net

Please, if you can assign some points to my answers in this discussion and close it if you want.