MSA Storage
1751837 Members
5241 Online
108782 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Best practice for installing MSA1000

CA1088938

Best practice for installing MSA1000

I just purchased a MSA1000 with 14x36G HD and I will have 4 server connect to it. My main application is SQL server. What will be the best practice in this case? Should I use Raid 5 ADG with 1 spare and only 1 Array with 4 logical drives (1 for each server) to get the max I/O? Any suggestion is welcome.

Also I have a IBM Netfinity 3500 M10 server which doesn't have 64bit PCI slot. Is there a HBA will support 32bit PCI and will be compatible with the MSA1000?

Thanks
6 REPLIES 6
Orrin
Valued Contributor

Hi ,

you can find the MSA compatibility guide at this location...

ftp://ftp.compaq.com/pub/products/storageworks/techdoc/msa1000/MSACompatibilitymatrix.pdf

With the MSA1000, the standard rules for databases appllies. i.e split the Data, logs and indexes, additionally look at raid 1 + 0 for max performance.

To help further need information like what are the size requirements for the databases and server requirements.

Hope this helps,

regards,
Orrin.
Orrin
Valued Contributor

Hi,
Additionally for more information on the MSA1000 go to

www1.hp.com/go/msa1000

Hope this helps.

regards,
orrin.
CA1088938

4 servers each has SQL running and require 50GB for database storage.

Thanks
BR796984

Hello

I would say - create one array that includes all the disks - so you will receive the speed of all disks on the array.
Then make the mirrored units for DB and ADG for logs - this is the part of careful planning since you can delete only the unit that is created last.
And there you go - no spare disk needed on the MSA if you can buy just one physical disk for spare or have contract with HP and you can have the new one within some hours.

BR
Tarmo
CA1087434

splitt the data and the logs over the scsii busses (=work vertical for your raid1 and raid5 in your msa)

as explained in the other answers splitt your log and data over different raids
raid 10 is the best but uses a lot of disks
we are using a raid1 for the logs and a raid5 for the data
we added also a hot spare
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

> work vertical

The MSA1000 has four (4) SCSI busses. The 14 bays in the MSA1000 enclosure are connected to the first 2 SCSI busses (7 disks on the left side and 7 disks on the right side). The remaining 2 busses are available through the SCSI I/O module at the rear of the box.