MSA Storage
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best practices for maximum capacity on an EVA8100 (HSV210 w/ XCS 6.220) question

Dan TheMan
Occasional Contributor

Best practices for maximum capacity on an EVA8100 (HSV210 w/ XCS 6.220) question

I am just having a little disagreement with a coworker.  Rather than delay a project by removing some of my cluster storage volumes and freeing space, I thought I would ask the HP SAN community this question.

We have 44TB of available storage on our EVA8100.  Curently there is 5.8TB free.  When this EVA was originally setup the alarm was set to alert at 85% capacity.  Of the two disk groups one is at around 8% free and the other is around 19% free.

We do not use Vsnap.  We do not have a license installed to Business copy on this EVA.

I was under the impression the only time one should be concerned with free space is if Vsnaps are being used.  Then the HP best practice is to reserve 10% of unused capcity for each of the Vdisks you will Vsnap.  Also multiply that by the number of copies.

I feel the alarm should be set to 95% capacity as the EVA8100 (since VCS 3.02) has no defined capacity limit.  granted with less free space SAN operations such as leveling, rebuild, etc are not as efficient, although they will perform fine even at 100% capacity (although HP bst practice shows keep 5GB of unallocated space per disk group)

Should I relent and free up space?