MSA Storage
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blank webinterface on HP StorageWorks MSA2312i Dual Controller Modular Smart Array

Filiw
Occasional Visitor

Blank webinterface on HP StorageWorks MSA2312i Dual Controller Modular Smart Array

Hi there,

My company owns a "HP StorageWorks MSA2312i Dual Controller Modular Smart Array" SAN (part of the HP P2000i Storagework family of products) and I am having trouble reaching the webinterface on both management controllers.

The SAN itself is working fine, just not the webinterface. It seems that there are some front-end related issues with the interface that prevents modern browsers (for example Chrome 37 or Firefox 32) to display the login screen - instead the screen is left completly blank but there is html/css/js loaded. In the javascript console it displays an "Uncaught TypeError: Illegal invocation js_manifest.js:1" error. I have tried restarting the management interfaces using telnet, sadly that didn't change anything.

An older browser, IE9 instance in a virtual windows enviroment, does work. But even then I get a "Warning, This browser version is not supported. Some features of this program may not work correctly. For the best user experience, use one of the supported browsers. Supported browsers include:  Firefox 1.5, 2.0, 3.0 Internet Explorer 7". Which is far from ideal.

I figured an update of the management firmware would maybe solve it, but after searching for several hours on the HP.com website for it I am totally lost. I can find Sas and Storage Controller updates, but there doesn't seem to be any management firmware downloads anywhere... ARGH.

Both controllers are running the following software versions:

Storage Controller Code Version: M113R11

Memory Controller FPGA Code Version: F300R22

Storage Controller Loader Code Version: 19.009

Management Controller Code Version: W441R48

Management Controller Loader Code Version: 12.015

Expander Controller Code Version: 1117

CPLD Code Version: 8

Does anyone have any idea how to solve my issue or knows the link to the right firmware download for the management interfaces?

Thanks in advance,

Filidor

5 REPLIES 5
Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

Re: Blank webinterface on HP StorageWorks MSA2312i Dual Controller Modular Smart Array

Hi, the management controller firmware is in the same  firmwareas the normal controller firmware.

Long link there, found it by going to http://h20180.www2.hp.com/apps/Nav?h_pagetype=s-001&h_lang=en&h_cc=us&h_product=12169&h_page=hpcom&cc=us&lang=en&h_client=S-A-R163-1 , disk storage, msa, msa 2000 g2, 2312i, drivers.

If you can ssh/telnet into the controllers you can also try to restart the management controller(s, restart mc AFAIR), that's gotten me out of a non-responding web interface. Sometimes the https is very slow/non-responding and then http is working.

Filiw
Occasional Visitor

Re: Blank webinterface on HP StorageWorks MSA2312i Dual Controller Modular Smart Array

Hello Johan, Thanks for your reply. I've tried restarting the MC but that didn't work. Yesterday I found out that if you use a modern Firefox AND have Firebug installed AND have it enabled on the logon page, then the webinterface DOES work. Seems like the cause is some Firebug detection js-error that breaks the page on browsers like Chrome which don't have Firebug.

All in all, having Firebug enabled is a workaround I can live with. I'm a little bit afraid of upgrading the controller firmware since the machine has been running smoothly for a long time and I don't want to disturb that. Especially because the firmware update you suggested doesn't mention fixing any of this. HP might not even be aware of it yet. Do you know where I could report a bug?

Thanks again,

Filidor

Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

You could try your luck with the HP Support or perhaps if you have an account manager they can help with this.

flurble
Occasional Visitor

Hi Filiw,

Did you ever get to the bottom of this?

flurble
Occasional Visitor