1752810 Members
5842 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Booting from SAN

James David Taylor
Occasional Advisor

Booting from SAN

We have a HP rx7620 Integrity Server connected to an EVA 5000 Raid Array. The OS is HP-UX 11.23. HP StorageWorks Secure Path Device Driver and utilities for HSx class of Disk Arrays 3.0C is installed and configured. Is it possible to to boot from the SAN?
4 REPLIES 4
Stephen Kebbell
Honored Contributor

Hi James,

according to the SAN Design Reference Guide (Chapter 4), booting HP-UX from an EVA is not supported. At the moment, only Windows, Tru64, OpenVMS and Linux are supported for SAN Boot from the EVA. The XP/VA arrays support HP-UX SAN boot.

http://h18006.www1.hp.com/products/storageworks/san/documentation.html

Regards,
Stephen
James David Taylor
Occasional Advisor

Thanks Stephen,
I had read the chapter in the SAN Design Guide, but noticed that Secure Path V3.0D for HP-UX Software Update claims to adress "EVA boot support". Am I right in thinking it does not address v11.23 of HP-UX.
Regards,
James
Stephen Kebbell
Honored Contributor

Hi James,

I should be used to that.... several HP documents saying different things. I usually take the SAN Design Guide as "Gospel", but the release notes for SecurePath 3.0D for HP-UX and VCS 3.020 for the EVA specifically state SAN boot support for HP-UX introduced.
I'm not too well versed in HP-UX, so I couldn't tell you exaclty what versions are supported. I asked one of my colleagues and he says it should work. I suspect you'll need to upgrade your EVA firmware to 3.020 (if you haven't already), the platform kit to 3.0E and your SecurePath version to 3.0D.
Your best bet is to contact HP about the VCS upgrade - you should be entitled to free VCS upgrades. You can then ask them whether your version of HP-UX supports SAN boot. (11.00, 11i v1 and v2 are mentioned in the platform kit release notes)

Regards,
Stephen
James David Taylor
Occasional Advisor

Thanks for your help Stephen.

regards,
James