1753781 Members
7526 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: CA pathway control

Tony Deneka
Occasional Contributor

CA pathway control

Is there a way to control the pathway that CA is using between two EVA devices? Is this done via preferred pathways at the controller (which I dont' currently use because Secure Path is doing it) or is there another method that can be used. I want to split the DR group IO between Fabric A and Fabric B pathways.
Current configuration contains two EVA5000s running vcs3028. Two EVA8000s will soon be added.
3 REPLIES 3
CA1004210
Frequent Advisor

CA EVA5K HP docs suggest that FP1 on both HSV110 Controllers do the CA replication job. This is the reason why you would need to cable your HSV110 Host ports (FP1 & FP2) in cross fashion
CtrA - FP1 going to Fabric A FP2 going to Fabric B
CtrB - FP1 going to Fabric B FP2 going to Fabric A

You can see how the above would then load balance your replication traffic across the two fabrics.

Bear in mind that this all changes with an active-active arrays so the cabling needs to be put back to the straight fashion with EVA5K VCS V.4.001/4.

Apart from that I know of NO way to controller CA replication traffic. The most you could do is get your cabling right to then overall load balance your replication traffic to go through the two fabrics. Vdisks that you allocate to a DR group if they have different Preferred Path/Mode value would failover to come to one same controller. So watch out for this as well.

Hope it helps.
CA1004210
Frequent Advisor

Sorry, I meant in the first paragraph of my previous response that the cross cabling applies to VCS Version 3.028 and less.
Tony Deneka
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for the reply. This is pretty much as I expected. I was hoping ot be wrong.