MSA Storage
1753500 Members
3519 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Can I increase the size of Virtual disk in an EVA 4400 beyond 2TB?

choudharya
Occasional Advisor

Can I increase the size of Virtual disk in an EVA 4400 beyond 2TB?

I am having an EVA 4400 with firmware version 09534000. In this EVA, we have two disk groups created, in which only 2TB of free space left on each. Platform team asked me to expand a LUN by 2TB, which is from one diskgroup. Later I find that, the LUN size presented to them is already 2TB and now they are asking to increase by another 2TB, making total of 4TB.I have the following doubts-

1. Can I increase the size of Virtual disk in an EVA 4400 beyond 2TB?if yes, upto what size? I am not sure what Best Practices say, but I have learned we cannot extend beyond 2TB in EVA 4400.

2. If we consume the storage of entire diskgroup, will it affect the performance of all the LUNs created from it?

Best Regards from India

1 REPLY 1
Cali
Honored Contributor

Re: Can I increase the size of Virtual disk in an EVA 4400 beyond 2TB?

Hi,

you can find the Information in "HP P6000 Enterprise Virtual Array Compatibility Reference".

Look at 6.1:

Create virtual disks (LUNs) that are larger than 2 TB (32 TB maximum). The operations allowed on virtual disks that are 2 TB or greater are create, present, and delete. A LUN of less than 2 TB created on XCS 095xxx00 can be grown to
greater than 2 TB on XCS 10001000 or later.

If you first Update to Fw 1xxxxxxx:

Create virtual disks (LUNs) that are larger than 2 TB (32 TB maximum). The operations allowed on virtual disks or snapshots that are 2 TB or greater are create, present, delete, extend, and shrink virtual disks; create and delete
snapshots; and create, delete, and attach empty containers. A LUN of less than 2 TB created on XCS 095xxx00 can be grown to greater than 2 TB on XCS 10000000 or later.

And additional: No Replication if Size is over 2TB!

2:

For Proactive Disk Management you should have a min. of 2x the laggest Disk Space availaible.

There is no great Perfomance Drop.

ACP IT Solutions AGI'm not an HPE employee, so I can be wrong.