1753386 Members
6197 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Can't see MSA30 on RHEL

Zubair Gulam
Occasional Contributor

Can't see MSA30 on RHEL

I am running RHEL 4, and have a MSA1000 attached to it, and eventually attached a MSA30. The OS is not recognizing the MSA30. I was looking at another thread:
http://forums11.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=1158848

and was basing my understanding thru this thread.

I have ran the ACU, and from there, the MSA30 is being recognized. I have gone into selected storages and selected all of the logical drives to be seen. If the top most tree is selected in the ACU, and clicking on information on the right, it recognizes the MSA30. I have connected to the MSA1000 via serial cable, and it shows the MSA30.

I have contacted support, and was directed to reapplying a driver. I did so,and got a message saying failed dependancies, and its missing a kernel. Support directed me to another rpm, but got the same message, but different kernel. Question: If the OS recognizes MSA1000, why would I need to install the drivers again?

I am not sure if the MSA30 has ever been used, so it seems a partition and file system needs to be created on it.

Is there a way for me to see the MSA30 without the MSA1000?

If none of these are the issue, please advise.

Thanks,
4 REPLIES 4
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

I am more and more confused by your threads.

Where is this MSA connected to?

- server HBA (smartarray) ?
- MSA1000 ?
- or even the MSL6000 (your other thread) ???

Please clarify!

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
Rob Leadbeater
Honored Contributor

I'm with Torsten !

Please, start at the beginning, and tell us *exactly* what is connected to what...

As I mentioned in your other MSL thread, you do not, cannot, configure an MSA30 - it is just a disk shelf that houses SCSI disks.

Cheeres,

Rob
Zubair Gulam
Occasional Contributor

I apologize for the confusion, and hope I can clarify.

There is a MSA1000 attached to a RHEL 4 server. The MSA1000 has filled up. A MSA30 was added, and is attached to the MSA1000 via serial cable. The MSA1000 is attached the RHEL 4 server with a fiber.
I am unable to see the MSA30 partition. I do not know if the MSA30 has ever been used before. What can I do to resolve this?

I cannot do any testing on the MSA30 with the current state. I would have to move it to a different location, but I do not have another MSA1000(do I need a MSA1000?) to test it with, but do have a MSL6000. I hoping I would be able to connect the MSA30 to MSL6000 and be able to create partitions if needed, but as you have stated, this is not possible. I am clear this cannot be done.

Back to my question. The OS is not recognizing MSA30. What can I do to resolve it?

Thanks,
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

" MSA30 ... is attached to the MSA1000 via serial cable"

I hope this is a SCSI cable connected to the IO module of the MSA1000.

In this case the MSA30 disks are visible in ACU under the MSA1000 entry (as disks in physical view).

The MSA30 can be connected to a MSA1000 directly (the host will not know this!) or to a smartarray controller directly to the host.

You should take some time and read about the MSA1000:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DocumentIndex.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&taskId=101&prodClassId=-1&contentType=SupportManual&docIndexId=64255&prodTypeId=12169&prodSeriesId=377751

begin here:

http://bizsupport.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c01183952/c01183952.pdf

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!