1752683 Members
5464 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Cascading SAN 2/16 switches

Geoff Walton
Occasional Contributor

Cascading SAN 2/16 switches

I have 3 existing 2/16 san switches and are trying to attach a further two. The switch ISL's login to the switch as E-ports but appear as incompatible. All 5 switches are running firmware v3.0.2f and have seperate domain ID's. Has anyone come across this before.
4 REPLIES 4
David Devlin_1
Occasional Contributor

Geoff, apparently if you have more than four switches in your fabric you will need to purchase a license for any more switches i.e your 5th switch will need an additional license

Regards

David
Geoff Walton
Occasional Contributor

This would only be the case is they were EL switches with the limited licensing. If that was the case the fourth switch would atttach ok. I am only able to cascade three switches.
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Geoff,
does the 'fabstatsshow' command work in that firmware version already?
Stephen Kebbell
Honored Contributor

Hi Geoff,

if your existing 2/16 switches are pre-merger Compaq, or around 2 years old, the CoreSwitchPID parameter could still be set to 0. After a while, they were then shipped with this parameter set as default to 1 (to accommodate 32-port and Core Switches in the fabric).
Run a configshow command on the old and new switches to check the fabric.ops.mode.pidFormat parameter. It must be the same on all switches in the fabric. (other parameters have to match, too, but this one I find to be the most common stumbling block). If you need to change it, have a look at this thread:
http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=553369

Regards,
Stephen