5739 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Changing MSA 2050 SAN FC ports from one san switch to 2 san switch

RAID0
Advisor

Changing MSA 2050 SAN FC ports from one san switch to 2 san switch

Hi 

I have 2 MSA2050 1 for my vmware 6.7 production and another for backup . For Producation MSA port A1  and  Port 1 of all 6 HBA G10 servers connected to Sanswitch (in addition 2 server have an additional connection to it) and luns maped to all servers without zoning and all servers are connected with FC 8G.I want to add a redundant sanswitch and i need to use some current san switch SFPs.

what happen when I add redundant switch?

Does we need to remap LUNs or change some configuration?

3 REPLIES 3

@RAID0 

I see that you have only one physical connection from MSA to Switch. It means there is a chance to get hit with single point of failure situation.

So you want to put redundant Switch. It means you need to increase physical connectivity from MSA to Switch as well.

In general as minimum, A1 and B1 should connect to one Switch and A2 and B2 connect to another Switch. This will give you full redundancy as well as will help you increasing Performance.

From Server perspective you should consider connecting another port to Switch as well because you have mentioned only one port from each Server connected which is again single point of failure from Server perspective.

Ofcourse you need to unmap and re-present all LUNs to Hosts.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Subhajit

I am an HPE employee

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!

I work for HPE
Accept or Kudo
RAID0
Advisor

Hi dear  SUBHAJIT

Thanks for your answer. Is there a way not to remap luns ? I want to find a way with no downntime?

@RAID0 

Unfortunately without downtime it's not possible as per my understanding.

Mapping is something which is vital part here and this needs downtime as you need to un-present and re-map again with correct ports.

My suggestion would be to plan for downtime once to correct the setup is far better rather then running with Single point of failure configuration and face outage in future.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Subhajit

I am an HPE employee

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!

I work for HPE
Accept or Kudo