7340 Online
108809 Solutions
New Discussion

Cluster on migration

SOLVED
Go to solution
Diego San Juan

Cluster on migration

I´m going to migrate a Novell Netware Cluster to a Microsoft Windows Cluster. I'm going to trunkate the cluster logically and use each server for one NOS during migration. My question is the best way to do that physically.
Is there a problem with the two NOS accesing the same SAN (one array each one)? Or is better to trunkate physically the cluster (one server, one FC swicth and one array for each NOS)?
Thank you very much for your help
5 REPLIES 5
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Re: Cluster on migration

Diego,
you don't say what storage arrays and switches you are using. In some environments it is possible to run NetWare and Windows together in the same fabric without any zoning at all, but with zoning you can use both environments in the same fabric. If you are unfamiliar with the tasks and you can afford the additional work, then I suggest you simply use two different fabrics.
Diego San Juan

I'm using a compaq DL380 G2 cluster, and the FC swicht is de compaq storageworks SAN switch 2/8-EL.
I attach a pdf with de configuration.
Thanks for the info.
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor
Solution

But that configuration does not use fibre channel - it is a MSA500-based storage using parallel SCSI.
Diego San Juan

Excuse me, in that representation there is not any switch.
The configuration is as the ppt.
The FC switchs is 2 Compaq Storageworks SAN switch 2/8-EL.
More info: 2 Controllers HSG80 FC, 2 StorageWorks Enclosure 4354, 2 kit cluster MA8000.
If you need some other data to aid, please quest me.

Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Hello Diego,
what is the purpose of the first slide? It seems incomplete to me.

The next slide is much better, thanks. So you have two servers, two fibre channel switches and one HSG80-based storage subsystem with two M4354 disk drive enclosures (called 'array' on your slides). I guess that 'controladora' is the name for the M2200 controller enclosure?

If you have only one storage subsystem, I would not mess with the fabric - you can safely run both operating systems together on the same. If I understand the latest SAN design guide correctly you don't even need to separate the fibre channel adapters of both servers from each other by zoning in a HSG-only environment.

What you need to do is use 'selective storage presentation' (SSP) also known als 'LUN masking' on the storage, so that the NetWare server can access only his units and the Windows server the other ones.

I don't know how your HSG subsystem is configured, but I would try to keep the storagesets evenly distributed over the disk drive enclosures (what you call 'array'). This will make sure that all controller SCSI ports are equally used - the servers will not see the individual physical disks anyway unless you have configured JBODs.