1753513 Members
5363 Online
108795 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Compaq SAN and MSL5000

CA972086
Occasional Contributor

Compaq SAN and MSL5000

I am running a Compaq MA8000/HSG80 based SAN and using an MSL5000 library for backups with Veritas NetBackup (Shared Storage). Recently on the backup server the library and corresponding drive are randomly going offline, then online, then offline etc. This is obviously causing backups to fail. Errors are in the event viewer relating to the Compaq KGPSA driver. It is Event ID 9 saying Compaq KGPSA2 did not respond within the timeout period. I have already swapped the card, same problem. Anyone seen anything like this?
4 REPLIES 4
Eugeny Brychkov
Honored Contributor

Re: Compaq SAN and MSL5000

This can be because someone on the SAN issuing reset commands or polling devices. I would recommend as a troubleshooting step to zone library from the disk arrays, or even zone library to one host and see how it will go
Eugeny
BR765533
Advisor

Hi, i'm experiencing the same symptoms in my enviroment. I've got an EVA3000 and a MSL5000. I'm also getting event id 9 errors and my backups fail.

Have you managed to solve your problem? If so, how?

Thanks in advance.

Ricardo Sousa
david5337_1
Regular Advisor

I suggest you check the path state,it can cause the problem.
Or you needs to update the controller firmware and update the Veritas patch.
BR765533
Advisor

My problem seem to have disappeared. The only changes made so far included the following:
1. Disable Fibre Information Agents in Insight Manager
2. The port 0 on both FC Switches showed huge amounts of errors. The SAN Management Appliance was/is connected on that port. Since the FC HBA for SMA are 1Gb, the default value for that port (negotiate) was changed to a fixed 1Gb.

It├В┬┤s not absolutetly clear which one of the changes did the trick, but the fact is the errors are gone, and my customer is now running a stable SAN enviroment.
There is still some questions in the air, and I know for a fact that HP support is looking into them, but those are minor "problems" and fine tune issues.

I have the RESETTPRLO is set to 2.
I don't know if you any SAN Management Appliance, but check for errors on the switches. Do you have zoning configured? Is is soft or hard zoning?

Ricardo Sousa