New Discussion юеВ

Compaq Storageworks SAN 16 to RA4100 Advice

SOLVED
Go to solution
Musso_1
Occasional Advisor

Compaq Storageworks SAN 16 to RA4100 Advice

Hi all,

Apologies for the long post - I've tried to keep it as short as possible! :)

I have recently purchased an old Compaq Storageworks SAN 16 (158223-B21) to go with my 3 x Storageworks RA4100's Rack Raid Arrays (146013-001). The unit passes all the post tests and does seem to work fine, but I have some questions about configuration and implementation of the unit as I have not used a SAN switch before.

I did not receive the software CD with the SAN switch but have finally located some documentation by referencing the Brocade 2800 docs and now have a compatible command line and hardware guide, but no implementation guide. The web software works fine, the IP Address is set so I can set use that also.

My test setup is:

1. Each RA4100 is setup as RAID 5 with one logical disk.

2. Each RA4100 is fitted with 2 x RA4000 but I am only using one on each unit (no erdundancy).

3. I have updated the SAN 16 Firmware to v2.6.2d and that completed successfully.

4. All servers and the SAN switch have matched IBM 1063MBd SWL fibre-Optic GBIC modules with the servers using the Storageworks fibre channel host adapter /p.

5. Servers used are the G1 models of:

a. Compaq ProLiant 8500 > linked to port 0 of SAN Switch
b. Compaq ProLiant ML570 > linked to port 1 of SAN Switch
c. 2 x Compaq ProLiant DL580 > linked to ports 2 & 3 of SAN Switch
d. Compaq ProLiant DL360 > linked to port 4 of SAN Switch

Issues:
=======
1. If I use only _one_ server with the SAN 16 linked to the 3 RA4100's, once the disks are initialised in windows (2003) the RA4100's are all recognised and obtain no problems so far - even with a reboot. The transfer rate seems locked at 10mbs max though.

2. The main problem comes when I link up more than one server to the switch. Once I initialise the disks on each of the servers sometimes they drop out as "failed" or "not initialised". Also if I write data to one of the RA4100's drives is does this with no obvious problems, but If I check the status of the drive in one of the other servers there is either no data on it or one of the servers will state drive failed or even that the drive is not formatted at all.

I am obviously missing some setup fundamentals here (or software?) for utilising this switch correctly and would appreciate some advice or pointers.

I've seen the availability for SSP in the ACU - would setting this correctly stop these problems?

Kind Regards
Sean
4 REPLIES 4
James Muell
Valued Contributor

Re: Compaq Storageworks SAN 16 to RA4100 Advice

SSP is lun masking so yes you can try it, but other problems of disk ownership may prevent this from working.

I take it your using this configuration as a 'shared storage' environment, and not expecting to be able to write to the same file from different hosts.

Have you checked the HP Heterogenius StorageWorks SAN Design ref guide(s) for support for this configuration? There is not much in those docs pertaining to the 4100 but it may be some help.
Musso_1
Occasional Advisor

Thanks for the reply James - appreciate it.

I'll try and piece something out from the design guide.

Originally I wanted the servers to be able to access any of the shares/files on the RA4100's via the SAN switch.. but from what I have looked at so far it seems thats far beyond the capabilities of the setup.

Previous to getting hold of the switch I had the RA4100's linked directly to a server and then accessed via network shares and that worked fine. The transfer speed seemed far quicker too when directly attached. If I could optimise the transfer speed with the switch, then that would at least be something, but it's been very tough to find documentation for these older units (tons of dead links) although I have some bits and pieces now.

Kind Regards
Sean
James Muell
Valued Contributor
Solution

RE: your 2nd set of comments. The performance is controlled by the RA4000 controller - which at best would be at 80mb or 160mb. The MSA1000's controllers are only rated @ 160mb and the RAs are older. Instead of using SSP, you might think of (try) using single initiator zoning. Creating aliases for each host hba and one for the Ra4100 controller. Then create individual host zones and in them add the Host's HBA and storage controller.
Musso_1
Occasional Advisor

Hi James,

I will investigate how to do this - thanks for the information.

Kind regards
Sean