5378 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Compaq or Emulex ... HELP?

Dave Frook
Occasional Contributor

Compaq or Emulex ... HELP?

We purchased our HBA from HP/Compaq

How can you tell what model of HBA you have?

Physically looking at the card it says Emulex, and the Lightpule Util will say something like LP950 or the LP8000.

If I wanted to Flash the Firmware or upgrade the device driver, is there an easy way to ensure I load the proper updates? Cuz HP OEM's these cards from Emulex and I'm pretty sure I cannpt use Emulex Firmware or Device Drivers. But then HP turns around and changes the fricken model number, so I'm left scratching my head as to what card I have? I purchased it from HP, but everything is reporting that it's an Emulex HBA ... LPUTIL tells me the Emulex model number? AND nothing tells me the HP Model number? So which updates do I download??

Quite frustrating...
3 REPLIES 3
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Some adapters use the same firmware or driver, but some do not. Tell us the 6-3 or 2-5-2 order number (e.g. 245299-B21 or 3R-A3515-AA) and I'm sure we can help.

I'll attach a small .TXT file with a list of Emulex adapters you might find helpful, too. Don't be too frustrated! 4 years ago the situation was much worse as we didn't even have compatibility lists!
Dave Frook
Occasional Contributor

The problem is that these cards in particular were purchased some time ago ... hence who the heck knows what the order numbers are? I suppose that's part of the problem

Can I use the Emulex Firmware and drivers on the following cards ... I gathered this info from lputil

LP950
LP8000
LP9000

We also have Agilent cards ... which opens a whole other can or worms? Is there a lputil with Agilent? Curses ...
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Do you have a maintenance contract were the part numbers are listed?

The boards that are bought through Compaq/HP usually have vendor-specific stickers on them. E.g. with KGPSA-?? or something like FCA2354 on them.

You should not use the drivers from Emulex.

As far as I know Agilent does not provide a utility like LPUTILNT. When I was attending a HP implementation training 1.5 years ago the instructor said that Agilent didn't even put the WWN on the board! Sorry, can't help you here - I haven't even seen much of an Agilent adapter - just the connector at the back of a server.